Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What food saver to buy...

BarManBean
BarManBean Posts: 129
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had a yardsale this weekend and it went pretty well so we have a bit of extra cash. We did buy a smallish freezer for food storage and I am thinking that adding a food saver would be a good idea. I currently use freezer paper and zip locks, but would like to be able to store meat for longer periods of time.

I started looking at Savers tonight, but have NO IDEA what I am looking for...what features do i want to have, is it necessary to spend a lot of money for good/consistent results, etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated, especially from those that own models that you have been happy with.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have heard a number of people say that they love their Foodsaver. I have also heard that many have had them die well before their time. So, I bought a Weston, the folks who make the ones sold by Cabella's. No bells and whistles, no accessories available. It just SUCKS. I've had it about a year and love it.

It is large and heavy though. If I didn't have space to leave it out on the counter all the time, it would be a pain. This pic ought to give you an idea of scale. That's a 2 qt saucepan in the background.

4291136941_e6d6db83c2_b.jpg

Bought it here. Good experiences with this and subsequent purchases from these guys. It's on sale at the moment, and free shipping. Still not cheap!

http://www.qualitymatters.com/Commercial-Grade-Vacuum-Sealer-Stainless-PRO-2300-p/qmpro-2300.htm

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BarManBean
    Whoa! i'm not looking to spend quite that much, was thinking more in the $100 range, $150/200 if there is a good reason.

Thanks for the reply tho!
  • Carolina Q
    LOL. That's what I figured. :) I went overboard, I know - but it DOES work well. Check Cabella's bargain cave or whatever they call it. Might get a good deal.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• MusicMan78
    MusicMan78 Posts: 182
    I bought the Cabela's version (CG-15) and love it, the advantage over the foodsaver models is that it can seal the 15" wide bags....they have nice slicers there too :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DSC00649.jpg
  • Bulldog Mom
    Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
    We got a very nice Foodsaver from Kohl's. For our purposes, it has been a lifesaver and I don't have any regrets on how much we spent (original retail was around $70).

Just used it today to vacuum seal some steaks.

I would definitely get the kind that has the vacuum tube to pull liquids into meat - makes marinating much faster, cleaner and easier.

Good luck!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I have a food saver V2240 and have not had any problems. I forget what I paid but think it was about $100.
  • I just bought food saver number three. It was 60 bucks at Cabelas. That was it 's best feature.
    Being number three I wasn't going to buy the top model and have regrets when it failed after a couple years.
    This one is a V2244 and it seems more robust the the last one.
    The bags can be found cheaper at warehouse clubs or online. In Minnesota the Fleet Farm store carries a different brand bag cheaper.
    You should calculate about 40cents a bag.
    I do big cooks and make intentional leftovers. the food saver gets a lot of use.
    WLL
  • Carolina Q
    Willie Lump Lump wrote:
    I just bought food saver number three....Being number three I wasn't going to buy the top model and have regrets when it failed after a couple years.

That was my point. :) I owned a Seal-a-Meal before the Weston. It failed after a while. Yes, I spent more on the Weston, but I hope never to have to buy another.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Le Oeuf Vert
    Le Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    My feelings also. Would like to buy just 1. The Weston "Cabelas" unit seems a little less heavy duty than the Weston unit like you have.
  • Carolina Q
    lol, the weston is cheaper than cabella's too. :) I think it's pretty much the same unit.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Does it make your leftover pulled pork better :whistle: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    nothing can make leftover pulled pork as good as fresh. :(

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BarManBean
    Thanks for all the replies folks...didn't even think about looking at cabela's before this, will have to do this.

Sounds like a cheaper model is the way to go given that it might die down the road.
  • eggsrgreat
    eggsrgreat Posts: 86
    I agree with Bulldog Mom. I've had these for years. 'm on my second one we also got at Kohls. Get the ones that the bag fits in the machine with the cutter. And also get one with the marinating cannisters like she says. You will love it.
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    I purchased a Foodsaver from Costco for about $129.00 on sale. This is the model I got below. You do need to let it cool down if you are bagging a lot of food. I have a feeling that in order to keep the price point at around $150, you are going to be replacing these units ever couple/few years of heavy use.

I remember when people were willing to pay extra for quality merchandise. Now it seems they only want cheap. That's why it is difficult to find good things anymore.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11300615&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|103|28485&N=4009923%204294905034&Mo=1&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    check cabela's..... they sell a great one.... watch the coke can crushing video.... i tried it home with mine and it crushed the soda can....i had a couple other brands.... they never seemed to last very long before they broke....rr
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I got the Food Saver V3460 and it works great for us. I got it back in December when they were offering a deal on it and it only cost me $56. Can't beat that price.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    oh!..... forgot to mention...... i purchased mine in the "bargain cave" at the cabela's store for 149 dollars.... in fact i got a couple for a fellow eggers..... the model i have is the CG-15..... rr
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Ray,

I have been looking for a nice sealer too. I just looked at the Cabelas one you have and it says $459. You and whoever you bought these for got a steal!!! Did you buy them local? If so how recent? I checked the bargain cave and had no luck.