Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large VS Small with some ham flavor in question

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

We often cook ham for deli sandwiches. We enjoy very thin cut meat, thin cut cheeses and thin cut pickles, a good quality potato peeler works great for the thickness on the pickles.

As for the ham.
hamdelicut.jpg

I have had the small for a year or two and because of getting the mini I have only used the small 3 or 4 times.

I normally smoke the ham with a good amount of cherry wood on the large and get good results and the flavor usually is pretty close from one cook to the next.

This last ham cook I decided to use the small. 350° until the ham got to 145°, same as when doing it on the large.

At first the only difference I noticed as opposed to using the large was the use of less lump. This morning I cut some of the ham up to make ham, tomato and mushroom omelets.

There was very distinct difference with this last cook, the flavor wood taste and aroma was more intense, in a good way.

I am now wondering if using the smaller vessel, small egg, as opposed to the large made that flavor difference?

Looks like it's time to do some testing.

GG

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Interesting question, please keep us posted.
    I have both large and small, I will try to come up with a comparison cook also :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

On the large I use a raised grid direct and 3 to 5 chunks of cherry wood.

On the small I used 2 chunks of cherry wood. I didn't notice any difference in the smoke output nor the aroma when cooking.

The flavor when done on this last cook was really nice.

This next week I am going to try and do some side by side with the large, small and mini. I usually don't to that type of cook on the mini.

The only other thing I have cooked on the small is some potatoes another cook with corn and maybe a hotdog cook.

Looking forward to hearing some other responses too.

Kent
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 383
    Options
    That's funny, I seem to get more smoke flavor out of my large, my small seems to burn off the wood faster. Let us know what you find.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I had similar results cooking a prime rib roast in my small. I normally cook them in my XL or Large.
    It was a tight fit but the moisture level cooking in the small seemed much higher.
    I did not get as much crust but I thought the cherry wood taste was better.
    This is a catch 22 because I don't like cooking wings or ABTs on my small because it's harder to get things crisp.
    Full Egg has less open space and more moisture?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I was about to sell my small, but now I am wondering.

Kent
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    High Plains BGE Rescue Service (not in the Yellow Pages) :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I asked first Dan. :whistle: :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    :P :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Don't sell that small GG!