Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised Thermometer

Options
PhilsGrill
PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever verified the temperature of the egg with a raised thermometer versus not raised (normal)?

My tests months ago showed both my small and large a 30-50 degree temperature difference (lower) after stabilizing respectively. Both were raised out 1 inch via a wood dowel. This would cause you to use a higher temperature to cook and would cause issues with your projected time.

Using standard BGE thermometers, however I think Tru Tel has a 1" longer shaft which may not show the issue.

Thoughts?

Comments

• GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    no, I've never tested, but often wondered...when I really stuff my medium full with 2-3 pork butts, I usually pull out the thermometer an inch or so because otherwise, it pierces the meat....
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Phil,
    I use my BGE thermometer with the clip on the outside just stuck through the hole. When I want to verify the temp it is reading, I slip the BGE one out and put my Thermapen in the hole (the same depth).

Now you got me thinking about the depth difference. Are you saying that the thermal layers are different by 30 degrees at one inch?
    Kent Madison MS
  • PhilsGrill
    Options
    Well, yes that's what I've seen. I think the dome ceramic is not as hot as the inside temp thus causing the reading difference.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Dang it.... do you have any idea what this does to a "maven" and how much time will now be spent playing around to understand what is happening....

Oh well, at least the smell will be good the whole time, something will have to be inside! not going to waste the heat!!!
    Kent Madison MS
  • PhilsGrill
    Options
    :) Well post your results too.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    I recently did 2 large butts on my large egg using a A/R with the standard gird resting atop. The butts were so large it was near impossible to position them on the grid where they did not interfere with the Therm probe. Had I been using my head, I would have dropped the Grid level to next lowest level which would averted the problem altogether. But, not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, the Egg temp probe was bumping the meat, making the temp read totally incorrect. I backed the therm out an inch to make it miss the meat.......which immediately impacted my dome readings, rendering that therm useless. Not to worry, I used the grid probe reading from the Maverick 732 for my temp monitoring. Point is....the depth of the probe is part of the equation to rendering accurate dome temps. Variations in it will impact the readings. FWIW.
  • dsmith
    dsmith Posts: 147
    Options
    This issue has come up on my rib cook today. I was asked my thoughts about it and I had no earthly idea. I'm leaning toward getting a Stoker for my XL egg so I'm guessing that would negate any effect since I'd be using the stoker's probe.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    What you need to do is locate the dimple or the 360° groove about 2" from the end of the tip on your thermometer. Manufacturers will tell you that the thermometer must be inserted into food or liquid past the dimple to get an accurate measurement.

So, if you withdraw your dome thermometer so that the dimple is close to or inside the hole in the dome, the readings will be off.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • PhilsGrill
    Options
    This may explain why some folks have their food done so early and don't know why. However, they don't mention they have a raised thermometer. Something to ask them now.