Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best. Ribs. Ever!

Options
Basscat
Basscat Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had an unexpected afternoon off work, went to the Grocery. Spares were on "sale" for $2.89, but I haven't had spares in forever, and I have time to cook 'em, so here we go. Canola oil to help the Dizzy Dust stick, and off we go for a 6 hour cook on the Medium. Trimmed semi St.Louis, as the grocer does a weird cut through the tough bits on the big end, I left that attached. Grocer also had Blues Hog in the sauce section. Tried it a while back, but it seemed so sweet, so I used a very light glaze at the end of the cook, and OMG! I get the Blues Hog fans! A great hit of heat and sweet. Pic is of the big end after another hour on the Egg after I ate the small end. Soooo goood!

aed560c7.jpg

(Sorry for the length of the post .... :blush: )

Comments

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Well, they certainly look like the best ribs ever!! I like spares too - haven't had any in a long time now. This pic settles it - they have just been added to the grocery list. Hopefully I'll get lucky and will be enjoying ribs Sunday! :)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    With a post that looks that good we will ok long :laugh:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Oops, first time posting :blush:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Basscat
    Options
    Just have to cook them long enough to render the fat out, otherwise they are too greasy for me. These came out perfect, a little crunchy around the edges in places and juicy and tender in the middle, with a little pull off the bone. Started around 225 and gradually ramped the temp up to 275 for the last hour or so. I may not go back to loin backs soon.... ;-)
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Would about kill for a rack like thats right now! :woohoo: Been a couple months like you since I had time. Hope to gets a day off next Friday and do up a mess!!! ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Great looking cook there. Weekend ribs sounds about right out in this neck of the woods.

Thanks for posting.

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Beautiful my friend Congratulations
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    no religious disrespect meant, but I had the same COME TO JESUS awakening a couple weeks ago! After 11 years of thinking that BGEs should only be egging baby backs I reverted to spares on a whim! I can not believe I have been so blind/stupid/whatever all this time! I just say bless all you baby back rib lovers because I know that you folks have left me with the delicious lower cuts being the spare ribs!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    I am definitely a rookie at grilling ribs but I found spares to be unpleasently fatty compared to back ribs. Maybe I didn't cook right or something. Although my body doesn't like to eat fats too much.
  • Basscat
    Options
    That's the issue with me, but with these I got the fat rendered, and they were awesome. Started at a lower temp, and ramped up. Most of the fat was gone and some was crisped up on the edges to cracklin's. Came out great!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    shhhhhh! We have a baby back guy on the hook who will be avoiding spares! We need those faithful baby back followers! :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I love the spare ribs and I get them whole and trim them myself St. Louis style. Then I take the boneless trimmings and grind it and mix some seasonings to make sausage. I recently trimmed up six slabs and it made about 6 pounds of ground pork. Believe it or not I slightly under cooked the ribs and after cooling them I food savored them and socked them in the freezer. After a week I thawed and warmed in the microwave and they were just like they came off the egg. :P
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Now I want some RIB's! Nice!!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Basscat
    Options
    Thanks! They were really good...
  • Basscat
    Options
    I've been doing loin backs for awhile, but have to rethink that, these spares were great!
  • Basscat
    Options
    Thanks! They came out great.
  • Basscat
    Options
    Thank you! They were a very nice way to end a week.
  • Basscat
    Options
  • Basscat
    Options
    Thanks! They came out great.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I prefer St. Louis trimmed spares to loin back ribs. I probably make spares 5 times for every 1 time I do loin/baby backs.

Nice looking cook, Basscat. Was the grocery store Food City? They carry Blues Hog (all three varieties) here and it's my family's favorite. I think it's too sweet but they love it. I like mixing it 50/50 with their Tennessee Red for ribs.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This