Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracker-thin pizza crust

BeerBQ
BeerBQ Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for a recipe for cracker style crust. I've been to the pizza making site and tried a couple with not so spectacular results. Crust was good, but still didn't have that crunch that I seek. Anyone have a good recipe?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I have had a few flat bread pizza crusts and they are nice and crunchy.

Bread, Flat, Hungry Celeste

1 I don't have the book at hand, but it was a simple, straight dough: IIRC, a cup of flour, 1/2 tsp yeast, and 1/4 cup water. I kneaded by hand until supple (maybe 10 mins), then let it rest while I chopped half an onion and made the filling: mixed the onion w/2 T softened butter, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp hot paprika, a handful of chopped parsley, and several shakes of red pepper flakes.
    2 Back to the rested dough: divided it into four, and rolled/stretched/pressed it thinly on an oiled surface. Spread filling on one side, fold the dough over it, then fold over again, turn the whole package over, and strech/press it out again. Fold again, flip, and stretch one more time. Baked on a preheated stone around 450-500 degrees until well-colored on bottom, then flipped and cooked until nicely browned on other side.
    3 The dough wants to resist, so you just have to be patient and let it rest a bit between stretches. It probably would have been much easier to stretch if I had waited 30 mins between mixing & stretching, but I didn't want to wait!

Recipe Type
    Bread

Recipe Source
    Author: Anissa Helou's Mediterranean Street Food

Source: BGE Forum, Hungry Celeste, 2011/01/31
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    While I'm sure one can make a crunchy crust at home with the Egg, I'm not certain a real cracker crust can be made without a dough roller. from what I've read, cracker crusts are especially dense doughs that are usually fed through a roller that exerts lots more pressure and makes the pough thinner than a person can with a roller.

The crunchiest I have made was with a very slack dough, about 65 - 70 weight of water to flour. Very hard to work with, had to do the final stretching on the peel. Unfortunately, the stuff was so wet that the parchment became soggy. I waited till the stone on the platesetter in the Egg was 475 F according to my IR thermometer, which took quite awhile. I left the pizza on for about 3 minutes. It was not burnt, but was quite crunchy. Unfortunately. more like a graham cracker than a cracker pizza.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I make thin crunchy crust pizza quite often, without a roller. Many folks more knowledgeable and talented than I have stated that a roller will crush any bubbles in the dough, preventing it from bubbling during the cook.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    cracker crust is something ive never seen up here, we have a lot of really thin crust pizzas and can get them crunchy but not cracker like, for those its really high temps, minimal ingredients and super thin crusts, i try and stretch out 3 pies from a single dough ball. from reading a while back trying to understand what exactly a cracker crust is i seen starting with a wet dough and rolling hard to get it really thin and applying alot more flour into the dough while rolling so its not a wet dough after prepping. now what they do to cook it is something i have to see and experience because i dont know what im after. some of the recipes are calling for a slightly oiled pan, the thin pressed and rolled dough, docking the dough, higher heats 500/600, a minute or two prebake, then the toppings. maybe some of those things might help. it definitely doesnt sound like a crispy thin crust done high temps on a stone. pizza is so regional its sometimes hard to get right. we have greek pizza up here, nothing to do with ingredients from the med, its a heavily oiled bottom sinker pie covered with grease, actually quite saturated with grease as in put the box your taking home on a pile of newspapers as it may/will soak thru. almost nothing out there on a newengland greek pizza
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I love a thin crust pizza, but not crispy. I was common to find it in NYC when I was growing up, but since I moved away, I've found it hard to match. The whole pie was very thin and often served right out of the oven on a metal pan. And the mozzarella was the real McCoy and would stretch almost as far as your arm could extend. Can't tell how many times I burned the roof of my mouth while devouring that savory pizza!! 8 - ),,,
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    we have a great wood fired thin crust droopy pizza style place nearby, its so good i really have no desire to make it anymore :laugh: back of the oven they start the pie at 1000 degrees, then pull it forward during the cook to a 600 degree spot, done in just a few minutes.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Once you try it, you're hooked!! I'm so jealous!! 8 - ),,,
  • mentsmin
    mentsmin Posts: 29
    Hmm, I'd like to know the secret as well.

I grew up in St. Louis and love the cracker-thin pizza that's most popular there...
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I'm also interested. I went to Switzerland earlier this year, and had a type of pizza called flammkuchen (originated in Germany I believe). I have been wanting to try to this recipe on the egg:

190202_1726791702702_1625700757_1609084_3107080_n.jpg

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Thanks Kim...that looks great! ;)

Now I just have to figure out exactly what "Speck" is.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i used king arthur italian flour [low gluten] and followed alton brown and/or wolfgang pucks recipe. [easy to find thru google] it was crispy break apart like a cracker.
  • BeerBQ
    BeerBQ Posts: 119
    Wow! Thanks to all who replied. At work, so late responding. I'll take a gander at some of the recipes and see what I can come up with. Been awhile since I posted pics, so hope to start throwing some pics up soon. Thanks again! Not sure what I would do without this forum.