Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who are the Millers you ask?

2»

Comments

• transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    I keep hoping it's all unfounded. But, apparently not. We just need to reconvene elsewhere and preserve our unity if it goes that way.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Damn Tim, this forum is a voice that Egg would have to listen to if we use it right. We also can raise money if needed to emphasize that voice.
    We can do something. I do not have a clue, but some of you must.
    I, as well as lots of others will invest time and or money into this. We just need a leader.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    You broke the code, Hoss.
  • WOW!!! Take your ritalin. IF the forum will change, or even go away completely, how is that killing off Ed Fisher's lifetime of work? I doubt Ed's lifetime of work was to get a forum up and running. Yes, the forum has convinced people to buy eggs, but many people buys eggs without even knowing this forum exists. I have been getting a kick out of some of the comments over the last few days, but this one takes the cake (even after you edited it, it still takes the cake).
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    duped
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • bubba tim
    That is a simple answer. Let me tell you a fictional story about a cheese company.

We will call it "Red Ball Cheese Corp".

Way back in the early 1960 a lad found his grandmother's recipies for various cheeses. He started making some for his friends and this lead him to open his first store. As time went on, he decide to expand his distribution to sell more cheese. He now was sell more cheese so he closed down his retail store and moved to a warehouse so he could pack and ship his cheese. He was expanding and growing so fast, he was putting all is money and time into the company. He is now 51 years older than when he started his company. He doesn't really have any retirement. All of his assets are tied up into the cheese company. He wants to cashout. He bring in a hot shot, to modernize production and marketing, starts making changes and cutting expenses, and will lay plans to increase distribution. The goal, offer the company up for sale. A private sale or an IPO.

Getting the picture yet?

btw, don't jump in front of this bus, it will roll over you like you were a mouse!
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • TNT54
    TNT54 Posts: 40
    Tim,

This is a bit away from your main point, which was appreciated, but your comment that "from a trademark perspective, BGE Corp owns all the content" is incorrect.

First, it's a copyright issue, not a trademark issue. Second, ownership of copyrights vest in the author except when transferred by contract or operation of law. Neither of those exceptions appears to apply in this case.

Here's are the most relevant portions of the statutes, if anyone is interested:

17 U.S.C. § 201. Ownership of copyright.
    (a) Initial Ownership. — Copyright in a work protected under this title vests initially in the author or authors of the work. The authors of a joint work are co owners of copyright in the work.
    (b) Works Made for Hire. — In the case of a work made for hire, the employer or other person for whom the work was prepared is considered the author for purposes of this title, and, unless the parties have expressly agreed otherwise in a written instrument signed by them, owns all of the rights comprised in the copyright.
    (c) Contributions to Collective Works. — Copyright in each separate contribution to a collective work is distinct from copyright in the collective work as a whole, and vests initially in the author of the contribution. In the absence of an express transfer of the copyright or of any rights under it, the owner of copyright in the collective work is presumed to have acquired only the privilege of reproducing and distributing the contribution as part of that particular collective work, any revision of that collective work, and any later collective work in the same series.
    (d) Transfer of Ownership. —
    (1) The ownership of a copyright may be transferred in whole or in part by any means of conveyance or by operation of law, and may be bequeathed by will or pass as personal property by the applicable laws of intestate succession.

17 U.S.C § 204. Execution of transfers of copyright ownership.
    (a) A transfer of copyright ownership, other than by operation of law, is not valid unless an instrument of conveyance, or a note or memorandum of the transfer, is in writing and signed by the owner of the rights conveyed or such owner's duly authorized agent.

So unless you have a written contract with BGE that explicitly states that you are transferring copyright ownership to BGE, or unless you have been hired by BGE to author content to be posted on the site, you are the author and BGE does not own a copyright in your individual post.

I'd also mention that the EggHeadForum disclaimer explicitly states: "Big Green Egg, Inc. ("BGE") does not control this website and accordingly does not control the content that is uploaded, posted or otherwise contained herein. Discussion contents reflect the views of the individual participants only. BGE bears no responsibility for the factual or legal accuracy of the participant's comments and will bear no legal liability for discussion results." I understand that that does not explicitly say that BGE does not claim ownership of the content, but it is certainly inconsistent with that view.

Finally, I understand that additional or different issues may arise in the context of deciding whether an author may demand that a post be removed or otherwise not used, or when someone wants to copy a whole series of posts, etc. My comments are directed only to the issue of whether BGE "owns" your individual post content simply because you publish the work on their website. In the absence of a written contract to the contrary, they do not.

Cheers,

T.
  • bubba tim
    Thx, you got mail. :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Thanks Bubba Tim for the post and THANK YOU to the Millers for all you have done. It is always nice to know of more family I can look forward to meeting some day. :)

Blair

• big hound
    big hound Posts: 103
    What a great post. I've been on this board, plus the previous one, for more than 10 years... I don't add much, post here and there, but there's not a day that goes by where I don't read the other posts. And because of the Millers I now know who is the one to give most of the credit for me being able to bring bbq joy to my family and friends. I'd never be the bbq'r I am without the help of so many of my BGE peeps. Thanks to them and thanks to all.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Very well said Tim...I am lucky to have been friends with the Millers since 1999.Brenda has been to our house for a small fest and we have spent sometime together over the years. This is a wonderful family.
    Larry
  • bubba tim
    You got that right Larry..Wonderful and giving!