Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About This Forum's Format

hayman
hayman Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is it me and my settings or is this forum using and old format type? For instance, go to any other forum on the interwebz and you click on a topic and you can read ALL the replies just by scrolling down where as here you have to continue to click and click and click.

PIA if you ask me especially if there are more then three replies.

Comments

• ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Hit flat view button on top and you will see the entire thread and responses at once.
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    If you play around with the settings you will get what you want. I personally right click and open in new window and get all of the responses. then close the window and you are right back on the forum where you started. Try flat view. Good Luck
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    here's something I put together a while back that may help you.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1000581&catid=1
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    The view to which you refer is the "threaded view" which a lot of people prefer since it allows you to deduce the relationship of each post to each other. If you want to sort that out for yourself and see all the posts regardless of relationship, you should select the flat view up at the top of the page. To each his own....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I don't know why some are calling for change here. The way I'm set up, I look at the forum posts along with the responses in one view. I can then choose what to view or move on.. How can it be any easier?
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Rascal wrote:
    I don't know why some are calling for change here. The way I'm set up, I look at the forum posts along with the responses in one view. I can then choose what to view or move on.. How can it be any easier?

There's much better forum software out there. As others have mentioned, vBulletin is one of them. Anytime you have a whole bunch of unsorted discussions going on at the same time, it's going to be hard to keep up. I miss a lot of the discussions that go on here (I'm talking entire threads, not just single messages) because I don't dedicate enough time to going through the egghadforum.

Other BB software helps with this problem by how the organize and display threads. For example, we could have this forum set up so that there are a variety of regional sub-forums, a national forum, a recipe forum, and off-topic forum, a forum for pet obituaries, etc, etc, etc. If anybody is not interested in any of these sub-topics, they can simply choose not to watch those sections, or watch them less frequently.

Here's another reason why the others are better: try doing a search here that brings up an interesting thread from like 2 years ago. Post a question on that thread. See if anyone notices. Odds are, they won't. With something like vBulletin, that "old" thread now becomes "active" again, and is brought to the top - increasing the chances that someone will actually see and respond to it.

Here, everything just comes in one continuous stream, and the signal-to-noise ratio is not so good.

I'll continue to participate here, regardless of what software they're choosing to use. It would be time better spent if they used more modern server software. I participate in a lot of online forums, but whenever I come here, I feel like I'm taking a time-warp back to 2000, as far as the user-interface is concerned.

(and if I'm re-hashing what others have said, I'm sorry. I feel like I've missed a lot of the conversation here, which is precisely my point)

__Jason
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    You can tell this forum to display latest posts first, so you see old threads that get posted to. That's how I am using it.

I doubt having separate forums will fly since there is a significant number of folks here who refuse to use the off topic forum already.

Can you point us to an example forum using Vbulletin that we could check out?
    The Naked Whiz
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    I've been fiddling around with my settings, and I may be able to get something that works a little better for me. I'll have to play around with it though.

Here are some other forum examples (not all are vBulletin):

http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/forum/forum.php
    http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php
    http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/index.php
    http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?action=forum

__Jason
  • hayman
    hayman Posts: 25
    guzzijason wrote:
    Rascal wrote:
    I come here, I feel like I'm taking a time-warp back to 2000, as far as the user-interface is concerned.

Thats a lot better (flat). Thanks all.

I felt the same Jason.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    count me in the group that will be glad when the forum software is 2011 instead of 1991.
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    No, you're right. the software is old and out-of-date. I've posted several times requesting an update and have only met with resistance and even many angry responses from many here. Yes, it is somewhat configurable but that was never my point. The bigger problem is that very few here bother to utilize the forum section areas and recognize the power of better software and newer ideas. It seems that many use Eggheadforum as a community chat room only. It can be a real challenge for some to break their habits and make this forum even better than it currently is. I still like the forum but sure hope for modern software someday.
  • ron4fish
    Read the response from Number5 above. There are changes coming in the near future. It may seem outdated but everyone gets their point across and ther is love!!!
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Uh, yeah... have you read the recent "love" that some have for each other here? There is a lot of "not love" too.... just sayin'
  • ron4fish
    Maybe the NON-LOVE people need to rephrase how they say things!!! I'm just sayin.