Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3lb. Boneless in-a bag

Options
Cpt'n Cook
Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The First Mate just picked up a 3lb boneless pork shoulder in a bag. Any prep and cook advice would be appreciated, I think I would like it sliced instead of pulled.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

In a bag???

I am sure you know, but, if you are going to slice take the meat to 145°.

Cooking pork in a paper bag for makes for a great meal. Very, very tender. Here is a beef paper bag cook.

potroastpb1.jpg

potroastpb2.jpg

potroastpb3.jpg

potroastpb4.jpg

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Kent did you buy it that way?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

The butchers shop has Jet Netting, Twine works just as well. The paper is two layers of wax-less butcher paper.

Here is a link to my original post for this cook. It is well worth the effort. Paper Bag Pot Roast - spoon roast cook

• Cpt'n Cook
    Options
    That certainly looks interesting and good. Mine is only in a net bag. Will check out your link.

Thanks
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Probably Jet Net. If you want to do the paper bag cook. Pick up some wax-less butcher paper. (probably free).

Put a good amount of seasoning over the Jet Net. Wrap with 1 layer of butcher paper. Then wrap again with another layer of butcher paper. Use some butchers twine and tie that baby up. Cook as detailed in the link I posted for Mickey.

You won't be sorry.

• Cpt'n Cook
    Options
    How about parchment paper?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Never tried parchment, but I don't see why not. Maybe use 3 layers. I think the magic is keeping the moisture in the meat.

The butchers at the local grocery store will usually must give me some pieces of butcher paper, but it has to be wax-less.

• PineTree
    PineTree Posts: 53
    Options
    hmmm that is what I bought this morning, I pulled off the string thing, and put her on the shop LG egg about 9a all rubbed down. Smoking with applewood. Smells divine, like bacon. Lookin at some pulled pork for dinner. I made some rhubarBQ sauce a couple days ago and wanted to try it on pork. Was gonna post tomorrow.

I think they put on the string(elastic) to keep the shape for the regular oven. Sometimes it can be in pieces inside it too.

Might have to check out the paper trick next time.

PS sometimes you can get a pork and beef roast together in the net too- those are yummy in a crock pot. CI pan would work I think
    trish