Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mesquite charcoal opinions

eggsrgreat
eggsrgreat Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had a friend pick me up a 40lb bag of lump at Sam's club, and when I got it I noticed it was 100% mesquite. I cooked with it, and it tasted just like a newly tarred road smells. Anyone else have this experience, or am I just crazy? I've always used hardwood lump before.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    that stuff is an acquired taste and I'm with you I can't stand it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    I'm mostly with you Ron, when I was in San Francisco I could go to the plant and pick it up but would have to mix a small amount with something else.

But there are those that love it so for them it works.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    I have used Mesquite for years and yes it does have a sharper taste

For my long cooks, I use hardwood lump, a mix of Oak and Hickory.

Mesquite burns very hot, much hotter than other lump.

I like using lump for my fast cooks, steaks, tri tip etc

I also use it sometimes for chicken
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    You are talking about Lazarri Charcoal. Right ? I use the their HARDWOOD LUMP. At $17+ for a 40 pound bag, can't go wrong. They also carry smoking chunks as well.

Gary
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    That is a pretty apt description, I just as soon cook over rolled up newspaper as mesquite :sick: :laugh:
  • eggsrgreat
    This is called twin trees from Mexico. Huge pieces. I will not be using it. It's Royal Oak for me from here on out. They even make it for BGE and put it in a BGE bag.
  • eggsrgreat
    Another description. I don't know if anyones been to Silver Dollar City, but it tastes like the blacksmith shop smells. Nasty.
  • Capt Frank
    Yea, been there, lived in Vegas for nine years in another lifetime, I expect the smithies use it to fuel their forges since it is so plentiful. That is way better than cooking with it. Might make the horses sick though! :evil: :laugh:
  • eggsrgreat
    Thanks for the info. My friend just got his egg 3 or 4 months ago, and that's all he's used. He thinks it's good. I told him to try something else. He doesn't know what he's missing. Poor guy.
  • Capt Frank
    I'll probably get in trouble for this, but tell him that mesquite smoke may be one reason the Indians of the southwest are mostly nuts! [or extinct] :evil: :blush: :evil: :)
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    That lump from Sam's is terrible! Yeah it's cheap (under $15 for 40lbs) but after one bag, I'll never get it again. I use regular lump (RO or BGE) and put chunks of Mesquite in it and it doesn't taste like that Sam's stuff.
  • eggsrgreat
    Looks like the verdicts in. Mesquite from Sam's suck. If I want that flavor again, I'll go lick a freasly tarred road. Thanks everyone :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I haven't tried Sam's brand but I have others 40lb / $15. Sparks a lot but the taste is fine, different from RO or Cowboy.

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

I found a mesquite lump in a local Hispanic store and like it very much. Viva Pancho 100% Mesquite Charcoal is the brand and I did a post on it HERE. I can only wonder if how well mesquite is carbonized has a big effect on the end results. The tarred road smell sounds like a creosote issue, make sure you are not putting foods on to early. The Viva Pancho lump is great for steaks and has the slightly sweet, slightly spicy Southwestern flavor that mesquite is famous for. I would try mixing it with your regular RO, maybe try 25% mesquite and see if it is better. It has also been my experience that chicken will soak up smoke like nothing else and easily gets over smoked if I am not careful. I use little or no additional smoke with chicken. :)

Blair

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC09911a.jpg

Well, mesquite lump is a hardwood lump, but it's not a maple, oak or other fruit-wood lump. It's a very common fuel source in Mexico, both for barbecuing and for cooking. I grew up in south Texas and we burned down mesquite logs into coals, then used the coals for barbecuing. In the 60's and 70's, burlap bags of mesquite charcoal were $5, and were huge. Nowdays, many steakhouses use it for grilling.

I still use mesquite lump on all my long cooks of the heavy meats like butts and brisket. It has a stronger flavor than other lumps, it burns hotter, and it's sparky when lighting. It often comes in large pieces, and sometimes those have to be broken down to use in smaller pits like my Egg. I might mix in some other lump, but I like the benefits of mesquite. You do need to let it burn off and settle down before cooking on it, but it's about 1/2 the price of other lump charcoal. Here is a charcoal basket with about #10 pounds of mesquite lump.

DSC00262a.jpg

Now don't get me wrong, I still buy my share of Royal Oak, and use it for my daily cooking fuel.

DSC06714.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Definitely and acquired taste, but eaten a lot of bbq in TX, really liked good brisket cooked over mesquite.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    IMHO Lazzari's Mesquite lump works when it is mixed , just a bit, in with a lot of RO or Cowboy. Using just a few pieces like that is a good robust flavor for beef, kinda Texas-style.

:)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'm with Thirdeye. Grew up in South Texas on mesquite. Love it.

Have you tried the Central Market/HEB mesquite lump? I spotted it the other day. I want to say it was the 20lb bag for $11.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings