Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is the Guru worth it?

Big E
Big E Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wife was loking for ideas for Fathers Day and the Guru came to mind. Looking for the good and the bad on those who have.

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Oh yes, especially on those long, overnight cooks. I know there are those who scorn temperature controllers, but I really like mine. I sleep better.
  • Big E
    I have had the Egg for 5 yrs. now and cook on it almost every weekend and if time allows during the week as well. I have done fine with my low and slow cooks to this point. Just cool toy ideas in my head I guess.
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    I have done the low and slow, 18 hour version twice in the last year. Bot on Butts of 8 &9 lbs. Put them on at midnight and finished at 6 p.m. the next day. Tem when I wke up was the same as when I went to the rack. I am with Guru
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Just finished 3 racks of ribs using the Guru via the CWM method. Never had to look at the Egg once I set it. It is my "set-it-and-forget-it" method.
  • Maybe.
    I have a DigiQ and use it because I have it. Before I had it I would program the alarms only maveric remote. My eggseperince was the egg is pretty stable for abut ten hours after that time little stir and maybe more or less air.
    So ribs no problem, brisket no big problem, overnight pork butt you might get an alarm at 5 am.
    It is good for very low 200 or below cooks and reallly is rock solid for an exact temp but most cooks a plus or minus 30 degrees doesn't make much difference.
    Realaty to me is that the egg is pretty stable and will run without a guru.
    Summation is nice but not needed. It is fun and let's me do a cook and go buy groceries or a couple hour erand without worry.
    Ttfn WLL
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    I checked out the Guru but ended up buying the Stoker......

Either way I am sure you will find it is a great add-on and not just a toy

Check out the Stoker verses the Guru and get different opinions

I went with the Stoker because for this add-on, it offered me more things; computer, phone and iPad control remotely and I am also able to control multiple pits
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    I have had my DigiQ for a couple years and love it. Not only is it great for low & slows but it is great for some regular cooks. I recently cooked Chickens w/ Herb Butter and used the DigiQ and they were perfect! I also order my Blues Hog BBQ Sauce from them. :)

Blair

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Lotsa folks use em.Lotsa folks love em.If you will take the time to learn how to cook on your egg,those gadgets are usless,like gaskets. ;) Personal preference.Good Luck.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    If you have had it that long chances are you already know how to cook "UN"artifically.Save your money and buy more meat. :)
  • Kew_el_steve
    Kew_el_steve Posts: 354
    Had mine for three years, use it on every single cook, wouldn't be without it. Money well spent. Love my trusty DigiQ! B)
  • Big E
    I have had the fire go out one time on me and the Maverick did its job by waking me up. As I said earlier it has worked fine just trying to come up with some ideas for Fathers Day and as usual Egg toys always seem to top the list. She mentioned the Margaritaville machine. Kinda liking that idea.
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Wouldnt do a low and slow without one... I like to multi task and not worry about my temp. So my GURU is
    the only way to go for me.
  • Jeffersonian
    I've found - and this is just my observation! - that the Egg is very stable in the middle term, 3-4 hours. I can generally get a rib cook done without too much fuss. OTOH, it's almost a certainty that I'll need to "goose" a long cook by throwing open the vents at some point to keep the fire from going out. If I catch it in time, great. If not...not so great. The Guru keeps me from having to be the hourly overseer of my thermometer to catch it dropping.
  • Jeffersonian
    Good mention of learning it old-school, Hoss. I agree one needs to be able to do it both ways. After 9 years or so, I figgered I earned my wings :P
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Sure beats a necktie... :whistle:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Jeffersonian
    You said it, brother! :laugh:

And my family has reaped the benefits of their investment, I think they'd agree!