Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DIY hot sauce aka Hay"That's Hot"Honker Sauce

hayhonker
hayhonker Posts: 576
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Like it hot? Me too. This is my first attempt at a super hot sauce. It turned out really really hot with good flavor. The burn lasts about 10 minutes.
I'm already thinking ahead to the next batch. I think some dark rum would work well in the saute phase and added to the blender for a little sweetness.

Start with a pound of habaneros, an onion and five cloves of garlic.
hot01.jpg
Saute in olive oil until the skins start to brown. Next time I will de-glaze the pan with dark rum.
hot02.jpg
Add 1/2 cup cilantro, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tsp salt, 1 TB black pepper. Next time I will add 1/4 cup dark rum.
hot03.jpg
Blend until smooth and creamy.
hot04.jpg
Enjoy in moderation on wings, tacos, pizza. Add to some mild salsa. Get your friends to try it. Have fun! Goes good with the 100 degree temps we've been having :evil:
hot05.jpg

Comments

• EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Jason you are way braver than I !! :laugh:
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I made some for dinner tonight, we're having cochinita pibil. It was 10 habs, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 Tbs lime juice, and 4 Tbs water. I'm scared of it.:evil:-RP
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Wow Jason,that looks great :woohoo: I'll add that to my to-try list :)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I lived in Albuquerque for 5 years, and the end of every summer they'd roast the green chiles over very high-temp burners. The blackened chiles were then dumped into a trash bag (I'd buy 2 bushels every season) to steam, and then the blackened skins are peeled off. One of the top 5 flavors on this planet.
    I'm wondering if that'd work with the habaneros?
    Oh, and one pound of 'em?!?!?! Serranos are as high in heat as I can take... :blush:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Looks interesting, Congrats on 1000 :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    That's cool Jason! Thanks for the recipe.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Thanks for the recipe. That really does sound hot!
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    How did the cochinita turn out? Y'all are giving a new meaning to "come on ice cream" :laugh:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    hayhonker wrote:
    Like it hot? Me too. This is my first attempt at a super hot sauce. It turned out really really hot with good flavor. The burn lasts about 10 minutes.
    I'm already thinking ahead to the next batch. I think some dark rum would work well in the saute phase and added to the blender for a little sweetness.

Start with a pound of habaneros, an onion and five cloves of garlic.
    hot01.jpg
    Saute in olive oil until the skins start to brown. Next time I will de-glaze the pan with dark rum.
    hot02.jpg
    Add 1/2 cup cilantro, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tsp salt, 1 TB black pepper. Next time I will add 1/4 cup dark rum.
    hot03.jpg
    Blend until smooth and creamy.
    hot04.jpg
    Enjoy in moderation on wings, tacos, pizza. Add to some mild salsa. Get your friends to try it. Have fun! Goes good with the 100 degree temps we've been having :evil:
    hot05.jpg

Maybe a bit of honey to ying all that yang!? :ohmy: