Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Night's Dinner (w/ Pic)

Options
Citizen Q
Citizen Q Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picture002.jpg
<p />I'll never learn. No matter how many times I say "I'll never do THAT again" I always do THAT again.[p]Thursday night I grilled up some swordfish and let the Egg go at about 450 degrees for 20 minutes to burn off any unpleasantness before putting on a 10 lb pork shoulder for an overnight low and slow.[p]The shoulder chugged along nicely all night long and only dipped down to about 130 (pig 142) early Friday morning when the dew soaked everything but I brought the Egg back up to temp in short order. Came home at lunchtime and the dome was back down to 190 so I opened it up a bit more and left with a perfect 210. Didn't get back home til 5:30. Dome temp was under 100 and the shoulder was at 154 and falling. There was still lump but it was completely choked out since there was so much extra ash from grilling the swordfish. By the time I got the Egg swept and a new fire built the pig was down to 139 int. Didn't finish til after 10:30 last night, after bringing it in at 275 dome and pulling at only 189 int (I didn't add enough lump to keep it going any longer).[p]Repeat after me: "Stir & add lump before every cook, stir & add lump before every cook, stir & add lump......" and YES, even hot lump.[p]Man, did I screw the pooch royally on this one, messed up at every turn. But damn if this ain't some fine pulled pork I'm smearing all over the keyboard & mousepad right now.[p]Oh yeah, the clam chowder and tuna melt weren't bad neither. Still felt like I shoulda added some liquid smoke or something.[p]Cheers,
C~Q

Comments

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Citizen Q, looking back at your cracked firebox post, and now this one, it seems that the root of all problems for you is grilling swordfish! [p]I love swordfish, but quit eating it years ago when I found some environmental issues surrounding it's harvest. [p]Please don't misconstrue, Q, I'm not suggesting you do the same. Some people just never hear, and therefore have no choice.
    Scott

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    Citizen Q, I know your position against use of a Guru, but your experience this time when you couldn't be close by to ride herd on the cook is why the Guru makes sense. That Guru wouldn't have cared how you stacked your lump - it has a computer that says "need higher heat - turn on fan".

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.