Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

O.T. Geeks/Windows 7 H. Prem.

Options
2»

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

In the past rather than getting an upgrade, I purchase an OEM version. That way I when I get a new machine I can use the OEM version of that new version.

Some of the manufacturer versions of windows are locked to that system and when the system poops out that windows install is junk and can not be used on a new machine.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

You are fine with that amount of memory. But it is kind of like memory, more is better. I am guessing with what you are doing, more won't really be that much of a benefit to you.

GG
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Thanks GG and I agree that I most likely don't need more but I may look to see what is involved to have more. Ya just got me wondering.

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    Options
    Windows 7 will run on 4, But RAM is cheap.... I'd go 8 at least. It'll future proof you a bit.

Aswell, you will see a performance improvement because as your RAM usage goes up, memory starts getting swapped out to the pagefile on your hard drive.

Ever notice when you run low on memory, your hard drive starts going nuts? That's why.. it's called swapping. When this happens in excess, performance degrades significantly.
  • Bordello
    Options
    Thanks,
    Looking up ram prices now.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    BEFORE you do anything, make sure you know what compents are installed, network card, video, printers, stuff like that. You will want those drivers, win 7 32 or 64 bit, it will make a difference, on a flash drive before installing, I would rather see you go to 32 bit, as somethings run better than on 64 bit OS. A full version of win7 runs about $140 or less,
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Bob, make sure you check and see how much memory your system will hold and how many slots you have. I am guessing your slots are full and probably only have 2 slots. You will have to toss/sell/give/save what's in your machine now if you want to go with more. If you decide to put in more memory ask more questions as there may be some issues you may need to deal with.

If you are not doing much more than some word processing, spread sheets, light graphics, web surfing and such there is no need to increase past what you have, but I'm no expert in these matters.

Kent
  • BananaChipz
    Options
    You're correct about potential driver issues, but unless he's running some obscure piece of hardware, chances are he'd be fine. Good advice to ensure you have 64bit drivers ahead of time anyway, so there are no surprises.

Driver issues aside, 32bit apps may run slower due to the overhead of the virtual addressing, however a good many of mainstream apps and drivers are now 64bit, and can take advantage of all the goodness that comes with it. In any case, the slowness won't be noticeable on most half decent machines.

If you do go 64bit, definitely get the extra RAM.
  • Bordello
    Options
    Yep GG, that is right, 4 seems to be the max for this machine but you are also right in that it is probably more then I will ever need.

I'm taking my time on this and all the info here has been a big help.

Won't decide for a day or 2.

Thanks for the input.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

If you are thinking of upgrading just to use the new system you might wait for '8'. Latest I have seen is that it will be out late next year, but who knows.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

When you say extra ram are you meaning above 4G?

I have 4G but it looks like only 3G is being used, odd.

GG
  • BananaChipz
    Options
    The reason you see that is 32bit addressing can only address up to 3G RAM.

64bit can address up to 16 Terabytes of virtual memory. That said, for the Home version of Win 7, it's limited to 16GB of physical RAM (Pro, and Ultimate are 192GB physical RAM).

Here is a good explanation (save's me a crapload of typing) on the difference between physical and virtual memory: http://www.noobie.com/whatsnoo/physical-vs-virtual-memory/

More RAM is useful when you run 64bit because your machine can and will use it. Performance can increase because there is less swapping out of virtual memory to the pagefile on your (infinitely slower) hard drive.
  • BananaChipz
    Options
    No release dates for 8 yet (not unless I want to see a sniper bead on me) LOL...

I'll tell you this though, It will be next year. Hopefully early next year.

I'll also tell you that it is truly going to be awesome, and game-changing.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks for the tease... :) Love the new improvements but it sure is costly to keep up.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks for the link.

System information here is showing:
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 3.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 1.96 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 6.00 GB

Kent
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    There are a couple of good sites comparing/contrasting the different Win7 versions.

The wikipedia site (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions) also features a easy to read chart showing the various supported upgrade paths and those paths which will require a clean install.

The MicroSoft site (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare) has a very nice chart comparing the features offered by each of the five Win7 versions.

As mentioned above, unless you are joining a domain and/or are a software developer/IT Professional, there really isn't much of a reason to go with Win7 Pro vs. Win7 Home Premimum. Save the $25 and buy yourself a good steak - most will probably enjoy the benefits of the steak a lot more than those of Win7 Pro.