Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chipped Top - How should I fix this

Options
scotty476
scotty476 Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently purchased a used Large and it was chipped around the top. The metal top seems to fit well but I am concerned. Should I try and fix this? If so, what is the best way? Here is a pic.
U1u0lh.jpg
Thanks

Comments

• Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    Nah - I would leave it be. The chip gives your BGE some **uniqueness and character** like mine - when it was less than a week old and - I moved it and dropped it. I used some ceramic filler from Home Depot - but that stuff is more like a surface filler rather than a glue-together adhesive. I got real lucky - it thing did not break, it just cracked half way around in a wild pattern. The glaze repair goo that I used comes only in black - so that makes the repair look - scary. You can sort of see this in this picture. They look like black vericose veins on the body:

f08d3bdf.jpg

Or - how about this ancient cooker from the 1970's:

3b57d393.jpg
  • War Damn Eggle
    Options
    I think I'd leave it alone too. Shouldn't affect anything and it will rarely be seen.
  • Kew_el_steve
    Kew_el_steve Posts: 354
    Options
    From the carbon in the pic, it looks like it has been plenty used as-is. My vote is leave it alone. B)
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    As long as you're able to get a good seal with the DFMT, I'd leave it alone. Most of the time, it'll be covered up with either the ceramic cap or the DFMT anyway.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    While your egg will work as it is....I would suggest that one of the Egg advantages is that it is airtight. Your Egg is not airtight. Your charcoal will not go out from lack of oxygen when you shut down as it is.

You can repair this by layering High Temperature "JB WELD" and building it back up. If the prior owner has the missing chips go get them and work them in or you could use parts of the small green ceramic BGE "feet" to rebuild the cap. Cut the feet with a hacksaw blade. Be sure to use Hi Temp JB WELD, they have two kinds. Wally World has it in automotive. Other Egg users have used it without problems.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    scotty476: Keep cooking. After a couple weeks of use, you'll hardly notice it! Consider it a battle scar. ;)

DSC02458.jpg

DSC02459.jpg

Been cooking on this one as is for about 6 or 7 years now. (The added gasket had nothing to do with the missing chunk)
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    Do nothing except cook on the thing.

I can't think of a good reason to mess with that if that's the only damage.

Slap the DFMT on it and let it ride.

Ted