Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Palm tree smoking wood?

Options
ChefAl
ChefAl Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,

I just finished trimming my canary island date palm and have several pieces of wood from the trunk that are dried out. Has anyone ever tried this fruit tree's wood for smoking? If so what flavor does it produce?

I am pretty sure it would be safe since the tree produced edible dates but thought I would ask here first. Anyone?

Comments

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    It is not condsiderd a hard wood so I would avoid it. Yes it does produce fruit and the sap can be harvested, but I would avoid. In the Carib Islands, woods like this are used for fuel only. Hope this helps.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    try it on a chicken breast.

hard AND soft woods are used all over the world.
    if it smells good, you are 90% of the way there. hopefully it'll taste good too.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Palm leaves are used to wrap food all the time. I agree with Stike, try it out on a chicken breast and let us know, that would be interesting.

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month