Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best BBQ Sauce??

Options
wmd36
wmd36 Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am sure this has been discussed many many times... BUT i was was just wanting to get some chatter going as to a GREAT BBq sauce. Trying to get some ideas for sauces for Ribs and Butt. Personally, I love Scotts from Goldsboro NC (found in Food Lion Stores). I was wanting to try a Vinegar Sauce w just a touch of something a bit sweeter in it as well. Any thoughts??

Comments

• walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    I was down in NC recently and bought something called Porky's Place and it was still vinegar based, but a bit thicker than Scotts (which I love too) and was sweeter. You could also use your Scotts as a base and add to it the elements that you desire (brown or regular sugar, molasses, honey, etc...)

My favorites are Blues Hog Tennessee, Bone Suckin Sauce and Freds Music and BBQ's Secret Sauce.

What I keep finding myself doing is mixing popular sauces to get the taste that I really like. Like you, I like a vinegar based sauce with a some tang and a hint of sweet. Last night I mixed Pierces (out of Williamburg, VA) with just a bit of Fred's sauce and it was awesome on chicken thighs.

My two cents
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My number one: Bone Sucking Sauce ;)
    Can get at Cracker Barrels and cheaper than anywhere (other stores) I have found.
    Thin but not vinegar. But real good....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• No Cal Brian
    Options
    Blues hog is pretty good sauce. I think you can buy it direct from them too.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    For ribs and chicken I like Blues Hog, but for pulled pork I prefer this North Carolina recipe. -RP

Sauce

1 qt cider vinegar
    6 oz yellow mustard
    ¼ lb butter
    ¾ T salt
    ½ T black pepper
    ½ T cayenne
    Juice of ½ lemon
    ½ t sugar
    32 oz catsup

Cook at a simmer for 10 minutes.
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    I myself have a collection of sauces, usually 15-20 different kinds. Some sauces work better on beef, some on pork. When I serve up a brisket or pork for friends, I find it interesting that people around here tend to like the sauces that I don't like.
  • achtungpv
    achtungpv Posts: 39
    Options
    Here's my favorite. It's a knock off of City Market in Luling, TX. It's great on beef and pork since it is mustard based...

1 8oz can of tomato sauce
    1/2 cup yellow mustard
    3-5 Tbs brown sugar, depending on how sweet you like it.
    2 Tbs Louisiana hot sauce (not Tabasco)
    2 Tbs white vinegar
    1 tsp black pepper

Simmer for 30 minutes.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    For pulled pork I like a vinegar based sauce as well. I get it by the gallon at Fresh Air BBQ in Jackson GA. My in laws are from Jackson so I actually get it delivered to me for free...can't beat that! We have also found we really like this on chicken.

For ribs I like something a little thicker. We usually use Sweet Baby Rays from the grocery store. I picked up some Carnivore at the GA Mountain Eggfest and it was excellent.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• wallyjar
    wallyjar Posts: 123
    Options
    I lived in Charleston SC many years ago and loved a BBQ joint called Bessenger's

I still order their sauces when I need them.

They have mustard based and red based and both are great even though a little thin.
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Options
    I have been making my own for a little over a year now and my family and all of our friends really enjoy it. Unfortunately i never measure anything and just go off taste as i am making it or i would love to share the recipe with you guys. Maybe my next batch i will make a small batch and measure so i can share.

I also just made a vinegar based sauce for a party last week so i had it with a couple of the picnincs that i did and people really seemed to enjoy it. That one is very easy. I found this online.

2 cups apples cider vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    red chili flakes(amt to taste)
    4 tbsp of dark brown sugar
    1 1/2 tsp of Worcestershire
    1 1/2 tsp of sea salt or kosher salt
    1 1/2 tsp of fresh ground blk pepper
    1 cup of ketchup

Mix all ingredients and simmer on low for about 30-40 mins.

If you want it a bit sweeter add a bit more brown sugar or you can ever throw in some maple syrup.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I am a real big fan of Stubb's BBQ Sauce. A good off-the-grocery-shelf product that really hits it for me. It comes in several flavor levels, but I prefer either spicy or original. Distributed by Stubb's Legendary Kitchen in Austen, TX (have you tried it Mickey?) and must be nationally available as I see it in several stores, liked Albertsons and Safeway clear out here. Just very good for anyone who doesn't want to go to the trouble to make their own.

:P
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
    Options
    I am Canadian and I didn't grow up with vinegar sauce. I grew up with sweet, sticky type sauces. I prefer my sauce to be sweeter.

I find the North Carolina sauces to be, well, too vinegary. It just tastes like vinegar with some hot sauce. Not my cup of tea.

Do other Canadians here feel the same way? What kind of sauce do you like on your pulled pork?

Jimi
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    I make my own sauce, but this month's Consumer Reports has the following ratings:

Very Good:
    1. Stubb's Original
    2. Archer Farms Texas-Style
    3. Emeril's Bam!
    4. Great Value Original (Wal Mart, rated best buy)
    5. KC Masterpiece Original

Good:
    6. Bull's Eye Original
    7. Sweet Baby Ray's
    8. Bone-Suckin Sauce Thicker Style
    9. Kraft Original
    10. Jack Daniels #7

...for what it's worth... :whistle:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I have yet to come across one I really DON'T like.
    Blue's Hog with a little hot sauce mixed in is good for ribs and brisket. For pulled/chopped pork I prefer something less sweet, and it can be either vinegar or tomato based. Kraft Original is great on Chicken, there is something nostalgic about it.
    I often use Carnivore, Sweet Baby Rays, & Cattleman's
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Carnivore! I like to mix Robusto & Chipolte....Wife and kids like sweet alot.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    I like my sauce sweet, cheap, and without any heat! Gag if you want, but I really do like Kraft's honey barbecue sauce.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • meat03man
    meat03man Posts: 83
    Options
    Seriously am I the only one who prefers Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet to bbq sauce on the planet? I have tried a lot of sauces, and with exception to a root beer based sauce I made 3 years ago that I can't find the exact recipe for, the Sticky Fingers is the best around. I do like my bbq sweet and spicy. Vinegar based sauces can be great if done correct but most people go way to much vinegar not enough flavor.
  • Kew_el_steve
    Kew_el_steve Posts: 354
    Options
    Carnivore Robust.
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    www.sucklebusters.com

definitiv one of the best sauces.