Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pack and wrap-how to move an egg

lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,168
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Will need to move the large BGE. Professionals?? dealing with routine furniture etc but the egg is a different beast. Have stripped down other gassers and put sections in solo cardboard boxes, all ended well. Figure same approach could work but...ceramic is much less forgiving.
Any pearls of wisdom out there? No immediate crisis-just lookin down the road.
Have a great evening-
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• How far are you moving?? If within driving distance, I sure would put that sucker in my own vehicle and get it to the new place. If you hire pro's - dont they have a guarantee or something? I have not moved a long distance for a long while, and dont recall what the details were.

Strap the BGE very securely! Pad it well with foam os something soft and cushy!

I moved from CA to CT about 20-plus yrs ago. My most precious item at the time was my motorcycle - and they did a great job strapping it down and making sure it got to me safely.

Good luck on the move.

As an alternative - - sell it before you move, and get a new one when you get to your new digs!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    If you live near an egg dealer see if they have the shipping boxes.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Good luck. I just sent a mini to Afganistan and took it apart, used 400 feet of bubblewrap and hope for the best.
    I did talk with the Mother Ship and was told the best way was with a pallet.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Here's what I did with the XL last summer:

1.) took the insides out and wrapped in old towels/blankets.
    2.) put a oven mitt between the lid and the base so it wouldn't bang together over bumps.
    3.) strapped it down well (with ratchet straps) in the back corner of the bed of my pickup.

Everything went fine!
    Packerland, Wisconsin