Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK, need more help with butts....

2»

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Walk around the egg counter clockwise twice before putting the meat on the egg
  • Vanzo
    Vanzo Posts: 125
    Got it!

Hey, I'll try it.....I have been doing everything wrong up to now so I will try anything! When you live in Alabama and can't cook bbq you will lose all your friends!!

Vanzo
  • Crimsongator
    Where do you live?
  • Vanzo
    Demopolis, Alabama

Do you know the place?
  • Crimsongator
    You are about 3 hours away. I am up in Huntsville.
  • Vanzo
    Ok, so what are you, Crimson or Gator??

I'm only about 50 miles from our stadium in Tuscaloosa....ROLL TIDE!!

Vanzo
  • Crimsongator
    I am the gator. Graduated there in 94 and the wife graduated from Alabama. Have only been to Tuscaloosa twice in my life. That was enough :whistle:
  • Vanzo
    We musta beat you both times!! LOL!!

You sure don't want to go now since the tornado, it is a mess. It will be many years before you see things get back to some kind of normalcy.

Vanzo
  • Crimsongator
    Both times were work and not near football season. I did get to watch the 2nd biggest Alabama sport practice at the gym.......women's gymnastics.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    It's CLOCKWISE!!! Jeeze! :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Crimsongator
    Maybe it was 1 way each direction. The guy who told me that was a UGA fan and you know much they can be trusted :pinch:
  • Vanzo
    Hey now! Don't be coming up here and lusting after our gymnasts!

Vanzo
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Sorry, guess I missed your tongue-in-cheek.

"Stop preparing the butt the day before."

No one said to stop. Some said they did not and some said they did not feel they got better results. Some do prep ahead.

"Stop using EVOO."

Many people do. Some said not any better and kind of costly just to hold rub.

"Stop using mustard."

Many of the posts said they used mustard. I do most of the time as well.

"Buy a new temp gauge."

Just check yours and see if it specs out OK as the posts said.

"Use egger's recipe below for rub."

I'm sure it's great but most any rub will give you moist pulled pork.

"Only put on rub moments before cooking."

Covered above.

"Salt and season to taste after the meat is pulled."

No two people have the same taste for salt.

Yea, sorry I did not see your kidding around after all the work people put in to help you.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Crimsongator
    Brian Raschilla is the husband of one of our former reps. He is one of the assistant coaches. I was up there for a conference and got to stop by for an hour. They are talented
  • Vanzo
    Thanks Darian, preciate you explaining everything to me since you, and only you, know what I meant with my post.

Its good to have someone like you looking after the rest of us.....thanks for taking so much time to explain my thoughts to me and everyone else. I'm sure they enjoyed it every bit as much as I did.

Come see me in Alabama next time you come thru. I would love to see you face to face.

Vanzo
    Alabama
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    YEP.....Calibrate the thermometer,cook indirect@ 250+ dome,pull the meat at 195-205 internal temp,rest it ,pull it,add whatever makes you happy.That's it. ;)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Glad you understand. Good luck on your next butt.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DirtyJP
    DirtyJP Posts: 4
    Where did you get the thermometer clip for the grill?

I have been looking for one.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    That one, I think, came with a Maverick ET-73. No idea what happened to it. I think I only used it that one time. Really don't care what the grid temp is as long as the dome is where I want it.

The BBQ Guru folks sell a silicone "tree" if that would help.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/The-BBQ-Guru-Probe-Tree.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut