Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Toronto Eggers

Options
jimi1234
jimi1234 Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What kind of lump do you buy? Do you by the BGE brand? Is there another brand that is better or cheaper?

Where do you get the other kinds? I have seen different brands at Home Hardware and Canadian Tire.

Comments

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Out west I find the Royal Oak Blue Bag from Canadian Tire for $15 for 8kg. It's a good charcoal at a very good price. You might be able to find Maple Leaf or Weekend Warrior for a similar price out there they are both better in my opinion, the Maple leaf flavor wise and the WW for low and slow because it lasts forever. Note one thing about the WW is it takes longer to come to temperature than either Maple Leaf or Royal Oak.

Doug
  • Sailor71
    Sailor71 Posts: 35
    Options
    I burn Maple Leaf. Excellent lump and price is around $17 this year at Rona unless you can find some last years stock $15
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I buy Royal Oak from Canadian Tire (12.99 for 8kg last weekend) or same from Zehrs (loblaws) in 9kg bag for a bit more.

I prefer Maple Leaf however the last 4 bags were just 'chips' of wood which did not burn well so I will wait for new stock in the fall - I hope.

Also like the BGE brand but it's a little pricey.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Dave, the BGE is just repackaged royal oak so no point paying any more for it.

Doug
  • sodacracker
    Options
    ahh ... BGE lump is repackaged? Good to know. We are new BGE owners, and initially smiled at some of the photos people post here of their stash of charcoal, but I can see already that I am on th e look out for lump sales, and storage space ;)

We were given a bag of Dragon Breath to try and will be cooking with it his weekend. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag78.htm

So far we have tried Royal Oak and Maple Leaf, both available at Cdn Tire and Home Hardware, so easy to find and will be watching to see if it goes on sale.
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Maple Leaf @ Nella (in bulk)

Royal Oak (Wallmart / Cdn Tire / Home Hardware/ etc)

Every now and then I'll try something else at a BGE dealer but I find that they charge too much for lump and so far I'm happy with Maple Leaf.

Michael
    Mississauga
  • cracked ribs
    Options
    Dragon's Breath was OK but my favorite is the Florida Orange Grove Lump. It comes to temperature really quickly and burns a long time.
  • Cityplace
    Cityplace Posts: 15
    Options
    Maple Leaf lump is $14.50 for 8kg at Nella (gets even cheaper if you buy more than 20 bags)...
  • RGBHV
    Options
    I've never tried the orange grove lump - sounds interesting. Did you get it at Ontario Gas BBQ?

Michael
  • jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I saw the Royal Oak for $12.99 at Cdn Tire.

I will keep an eye out for Maple Leaf as well. Nella, I am not familiar with this place but Googled it and came up with Nella Cutlery - that the place?

Thanks!
    Jimi
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Yes sir!

I don't know if they sell it at all Nella Cutlery outlets, but i know they sell lump at the QEW and Erin Mills Pkwy store.

If you decide to buy some in bulk, I'd be happy to join in for 10. I believe if you buy more than 20 bags you get a price reduction.

shoot me an e-mail.

Michael