Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook on nephews new egg: Tri tip

Options
cookingdude555
cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You'll have to forgive me, my pics are always either taken on my iPhone or blackberry, so they are horrible quality. My nephew got a mini for Easter last month, but eventually got around to returning and buying a large. He doesn't really know how to use it (still a high school kid), but he wanted to duplicate the pizza I do for my nephews when we have xbox parties at my house. So today was a big memorial day thing at my sisters house, so we decided to cook about 8 Tri tips to break the egg in. I brought my bubba keg along to assist with searing at around 750, then they went into the egg raised indirect at 500 to roast until medium doneness (family party, too many people gag on the delicious medium rare). Pictures didn't work because the iPhone flash didn't do much for the covered patio environment, but here we go anyway:

Bubba and egg getting friendly
573579a0.jpg

His nest has better casters than mine, and it comes with a front stabilizer bar now
cf4f8b67.jpg

a4128db5.jpg

I never get plated pics, but these were the final two, and they were very good
90678208.jpg

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Nice looking cook there. It was interesting to see that front stabilization bar on the nest.

Did you guys get any snow?

Looks like the transmission is going out on the monster. I finally figured out what 'Jeep' stands for. Just empty every pocket.

Kent
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Hmm, mine came with a "rear" stabilizer bar...
    Is it supposed to be in the front? :unsure:

I was visiting my Mom in Sioux Falls SD over the weekend, had turned the furnace off while I was gone, it was COOLLLDDD when I got home! Yeah, the snow can quit anytime now... :angry:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• cookingdude555
    Options
    No snow here in West Valley, just a ton of rain. A friend came from Bountiful yesterday, and when he got to my house, there was still snow on his car. Its been a weird year. Snow in your part of the valley?

Too bad about the Jeep, that can be expensive .. :angry: I would come buy your other eggs, but I just bought this today:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=15754956

I 'needed' to have it, you know, because it is green and stuff (actually, I just wanted the stainless table, mine is plastic). Now I will be putting my old performer up for sale, or maybe I wont.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Yeah, the snow still this time of year is weird. We are still putting our furnace on at night. I kind of like the cool weather, but I fear the flooding.

I dont know which way the bar is supposed to be. He bought it at leisure living in salt lake and the bands arent on right either. They hardly tightened the bolts either, I really cant stand that dealer. But we dont have much of a choice, I think all the dealers I have seen in Utah dont know much about the product, or charge way too much. I think his egg out the door was over a grand. There was no ash tool, grid grippper, and they didnt give him any lump either. They are incredibly wealthy and it doesnt really matter, but it still sucks.

Good to see another Utah egger here, doesnt seem to be many of us (atleast on the forum).
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

hehehe do you even have enough room for that thing... I like the table but not sure about the weber - you are scaring me :)

We had a skiff of snow but mostly hail.

I'm home and the jeep isn't so that's all I know right now. I am waiting for that dreaded phone call.. "and this too should be fixed".

Congratulations on your new toy, are you getting rid of any of your other cookers, oh and don't forget room for the cement board smoker.

You should post some pictures of your habinaro's and some cooks.

Kent
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    cookingdude555 wrote:
    I dont know which way the bar is supposed to be. He bought it at leisure living in salt lake and the bands arent on right either. They hardly tightened the bolts either, I really cant stand that dealer.
    I bought recently from a new "South Fork Hardware" here in South Ogden, and my pre-assembled Large had the same faults! Glad they remembered to give me the DVD so I could re-assemble it correctly (the DVD doesn't mention the cross-bar).

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

Just learned South Fork carried the eggs. Several locations here in the SL Valley.

GG