Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy Lump

SheepDog
SheepDog Posts: 176
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The large should arrive on Tuesday, but in mean time I've been doing a little research and shopping. I discovered, thanks to The Naked Whiz, that Cowboy Lump is pretty good other then burn time. While reading through the forum it seems Royal Oak is the choice lump. In comparison on The Naked Whiz it appears Royal Oak does have Cowboy beat on burn time. But the problem is I can't find Royal Oak anywhere around here. I did pick up a bag of Cowboy at Ace and noticed on the bag "New Improved Longer Burn." Is this an improvement over what was tested by The Naked Whiz? On a side note... if I rambled bit it is the fault of two Dogfish Head Squalls! :silly:

edit... proof!

252696_2113457713882_1168855324_2609622_6793785_n.jpg

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Where do you live? Have any Wally Worlds around you? They typically carry Royal Oak in 10 pound bags for $6.37.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SheepDog
    Yeah went to both of them that I would drive to on a daily basis. But neither one of them had it. Of course, there's a few more 20 to 30 miles away that I haven't checked.

We live in Hickory, NC
  • ATLBuckeye
    ATLBuckeye Posts: 8
    I picked up a couple of bags of Cowboy lump a month or two ago at Lowes when they had it on sale. I've used one bag and didn't care for it. Seems to take forever for it to stop smoking. I'll end up using the other bag for burgers and dogs.
  • Harris Buck
    Harris Buck Posts: 45
    I've used Cowboy exclusively for years. I would not change for anything. Just smoked a butt for 18 hours last night and came out perfect. Hit me up if you would like to discuss.

It's whatever you get used to I guess.
  • I've never been a fan of Cowboy. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like it creates more ash than Royal Oak. I use RO primarily, but I picked up a couple bags of Publix's Greenwise brand and so far so good.
  • Zogman100
    Zogman100 Posts: 69
    Maybe we can work out a trade. I'll send you some Royal Oak if you send me some of that Squall IPA. :evil:
  • SheepDog
    Zogman I would love to trade ya, but unfortunately being a limited brew it doesn't stay on the shelves long. Luckily I have an inside track on new brew arrivals, so I'm usually able to get there while there's a bottle or two of the new stuff still there. ;)

As far as Royal Oak goes, is there any other retailer besides Walmart that I might be able to find it at in Western North Carolina?
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    I don't like the cowboy either. Doesn't seem to burn as long, makes a lot of ash and I have found some odd things in the bag that weren't wood I want to cook with.

The royal oak is solid and Wal mart has it.

But I have settled on Wicked Good weekend warrior. Much higher quality and lots of large pieces, not all dust and nuggets.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I have used Cowboy for about 10 months and do like it.
    No problems on a 5-6 hour rib cook (the lonest I have done so far) and I have not noticed any excess ash at all. Overall, happy with it. I am just going to try Royal Oak as now our local WM is carying it at a very reasonable price.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    There are other brands made by Royal Oak. I called Royal Oak and they said they all come down the same shoot. GFS is the brand I use. Also Big Green Egg brand. I am sure there are other brands made by Royal Oak. I get 20 lbs of GFS for about $12.00 and I really like it.