Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pan searing

Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Re-introducing meself to pan seared meat. I had good luck with this method with steak and pork tenderloin last summer so it's back to the pan. The pan is heavy duty cast iron, a Bobby Flay product, handle whacked off to fit on the spider close to the hot coals. The goal here is to get good sear marks and form a crust without overcooking the meat internally.
BGEPanSearedSteak0003.jpg

Many a steak was cooked in cast iron, this is old school but I change things up by first searing in the pan then going with an indirect roasting to reach my target temp.
I change out the cast iron for a raised grid with drip pan. The dome cools down to around 350 and I slow roast the meat. Now I have a little more time on my hands to check with probe.
BGEPanSearedSteak0007.jpg

There is extra work with setups and then there is cleaning the cast iron pan afterwards...but, for me, it's hard to overcook the meat with this method. So I'll be doin this again.
BGEPanSearedSteak0008.jpg

BGEPanSearedSteak0011.jpg

BGEPanSearedSteak0012.jpg

For a treat Diana Q made us cherry pie. I'm trying to gain weight, I ate two of these. The pie was still warm....
BGEPanSearedSteak0016.jpg

Have a great Memorial Day.

Comments