Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK - what's the trick to pizza dough?

Pjoe
Pjoe Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought some pizza dough at Publix. Gave it the required 60 minutes plus a bit out of the fridge. When I tried to roll it out, I could not get it to stay stretched out! It just kept shrinking back, i finally got it to about an 8 inch circle and am now cooking it. What is the trick?

Bill
LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I have had the same problem two times. :angry: I will get some criticism for this but, I buy the Pillsburry Pizza dough in the tube, thin crust. You pop the tube open roll it out and bake. Easy as Pizza Pie and I think it is very good. You can buy it days in advance and have Pizza whenever ya want. No muss no fuss, just good Pizza. :woohoo:
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Yeh,Itried that too and while it rolled out fine, we didn't care for the texture of the finished product.

Bill
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Don't know if this will make a difference, but I never roll mine. I hand shape it on the bread board, then stretch it by hand, finally grabbing one edge and letting it hang there, working my way around until it's the size I want. It's rarely perfectly round, but I don't care. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    jim, i am with you...buy the store bought roll stuff.. roll out, no mess. keeps me from thinking ahead B)

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Did you get the thick or thin? We don't like the thick either. The only other option is to make your own dough.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I buy mine at the grocery store. All of them sell bags of it in various weights. Not bad. You can also buy fresh dough from your favorite pizza joint. Never tried Pillsbury.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Le Oeuf Vert
    Le Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    Always fought with store bought dough. Today I took the dough out of the bag, put it in an oiled bowl, covered in plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for 3 hours or so. Hand stretched on a floured board and not much spring back. If it works the same next time I will always let it sit out longer. Good luck and let us know what worked for you.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    We do Zippies and it always comes out good for us. or maybe it is the three beers it takes to make it.....only recipe I have ever seen that times it by beer drinking lol
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Whenever I've frozen extra dough balls and defrost them, they are very easy to handle. The same for homemade dough that rises slowly in the refrigerator for two or three days.
    Judy in San Diego
  • purcellj
    purcellj Posts: 44
    bread machine on dough setting
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    When you roll out dough, you are basically pressing out all the bubbles that formed when the dough was rising and you get less rise when cooked.

When you stretch, you deflate some of the bubbles, but most remain and you get a much bigger rise when you cook it.

If dough wants to spring back, giving it another 5 minute rest usually helps a lot.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Publix dough sucks. I just stop by my local Pizzaria and pick up two large doughs for $3.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I would say the dough needed to rest longer. I make my dough from scratch and tried every variation imaginable. My best luck comes from making the dough the day before and keeping in the fridge overnight. I normally punch it down twice and keep it as wet and sticky as you can. That said, I can never reproduce the nirvana when I really get it right, it drives my wife crazy..."why do you always try to change something that works?"
  • Squirtle
    Squirtle Posts: 15
    When my dough is too cold, I put it into the microwave. Mine has power setting from one to ten. I run it on the lowest setting for a few minutes. The dough warms up and relaxes it so it rolls out easier. If your dough is real stubborn, get it rolled out as much as you can then wait ten minutes before rolling it some more.
    BBQ20pizza.jpg?t=1306766060
    Pulled pork and BBQ sauce pizza.
  • brisket30
    brisket30 Posts: 122
    That pulled pork pizza looks amazing, I use trader Joes pre.made dough and some flour if it wont stay stretched.