Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egret\'s Georgia Mountain Fest!!!!

eenie meenie
eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thank you Egret & Lady Egret for planning and hosting this wonderful eggvent! :) No detail was overlooked.

If you want to have fun in a gorgeous setting....you'd better attend the next Georgia Mountain Fest! It took place in a stunning setting in the fairgrounds on Lake Chatuge surrounded by the mountains. Each station was a shelter and there were plenty of shade trees.

IMG_6985.jpg

Egret prepared ham his famous Bourbon Maple ham for the Meet & Greet. Pork Butt Mike egged some delicious turkey. There was even live bluegrass music! Some of those Georgia eggers must have heeded the siren song of the bango......

IMG_6889.jpg

Dr. Zaius (Doug) and Rockytopsc (Jason): :ohmy:
(Really Jason, it appears you're enjoying the festivities a little bit too much.)

IMG_6922.jpg

Fidel (Rod), Jupiter Jim, Dr. Zaius (Doug), and J. Barnett Carter (and Michael trying to stay out of the fray): :unsure:
IMG_6943.jpg

Here’s a pic documenting how thoughtful and generous eggers can be……. :evil:

Fidel and Michael stuffing fieroguy’s (Mike’s) minivan to the gills with charcoal:

IMG_6931.jpg

IMG_6932.jpg

Now, if Mike can only get in his driver’s seat, he’ll have several years worth of charcoal. My translation of the print on the bag indicates that is a drawing of Little Steven on the bag.

I arrived in style courtesy of Sparky (Doug) in his big green jeep. Oh, and did I say Sparky can cook as well as party?

IMG_6950.jpg

IMG_6955.jpg

We were able to drive up to our sites prior to the fest and unpack our food and equipment.

I shared a station with the lovely Mint Tulip, Robin, Vidalia1, and Dr. Zaius! :) It's always nice to cook with a renown Egging 101 Professor and an Oklahoma Iron Egg Chef 2010.

Mint Tulip (Ginny) & Vidalia1 (Kim) made a delicious breakfast dish that was so delicious that I ate half:

IMG_6954.jpg

Doesn’t Vidalia1 (Kim) have nice taste in aprons:? :
IMG_7059.jpg

The Oklahoma Iron Egg Chef 2010, Dr. Zaius had a crowd waiting for his bacon bread:

IMG_6991.jpg

Egret was kind enough to provide me with 6 slabs of Baby Back Ribs which I cooked up trying to channel CWM, lol:

IMG_6879.jpg

IMG_7002.jpg

At first, I thought we were next to some carnies. I heard all this carnival barking all day. "Funnel Cakes, step on up and get your funnel cakes, ......Hanger Steaks, Hanger Steaks, WOW!!!!!Hanger Steaks......Step on up and get some Shrimp & Crawfish Ettouffe......" I must say, we always knew what was coming off of the Northern Georgia Eggers eggs: Fidel (Rod), Crimsongator (Gene), Michael, and Sparky.

“Funnel cakes, Funnel Cakes. WOWWWWWW!!!!!”: The Northern Georgia carnies, sous chef Michael, Fidel (Rod), and Sparky (Doug)with CrimsonGator MIA. I've heard of bringing a table cloth, but Fidel brought his own Funnel Cake sign and the Georgia Eggers had a cute piggy hanging from the rafters:

IMG_6977-1.jpg

Seriously, those funnel cakes were a great treat and made me feel as if I was at the County Fair.

CrimsonGator joined the Northern Georgia Eggers (Gene, of Jiffy cornbread fame) next door to us and entertained us thoroughly:

IMG_6956.jpg

Our other neighbors were locals, Alice, Maggie, and __________(someone please help me fill in the blank). They were busy cookin up quite a storm all day. Alice came to try to win an egg.

IMG_6970.jpg

Across the way was Girlyegger (Lynn) and let me tell you, that lady can rock an egg!!!! She is a veggie soul sister.

IMG_6978-1.jpg

IMG_7105.jpg

Catycorner was SSN686 (Jay) :) with his famous breakfast bread roll, that is a great way to start your morning, absolutlely delicious:
IMG_6957.jpg

It was great to finally meet Rockytopsc (Jason). He’s the quite type, but was able to provoke quite a bit of trouble as well!:

IMG_6992.jpg

Jupiter Jim & his lovely wife, Kay NoCook:

Gator Balls made by eunuch, Jupiter Jim:

IMG_6976.jpg

I don’t know why they call her Kay NoCook, because she can cook a mean apple cake (and she can pole dance….check out the National Enquirer for THAT pic). I only got a nibble, it went so quick.

IMG_6990.jpg

Down yonder was:

Gerry, the local Egg Dealer and a sponsor with wild hog sausage and other sausages with peppers, he cooked up some fabulous food all day long and sold out of his eggs:

IMG_6967.jpg

PMDoc (Vickie) & Double Bogey(Larry) :

IMG_7009.jpg

I finally noticed that Vickie and Larry are quite a coordinated couple.

You’d think Egret and Joan would be too busy to cook at the fest, but I was lucky enough to catch a bite of his famous Egret’s Bourbon Maple ham and a fattie:

IMG_6973.jpg

Fieroguy (Mike Tripp) makes it look so easy (but just wait till he has to unload that lump). Mike is a stealth egger, I could not have pulled off my cooks at the minifest without that gentleman.

IMG_7007.jpg

Down yonder someone cooked up this massive shoulder that stood up to serving the crowd:

IMG_6968.jpg

Up yonder were quite a few eggers.

Do you think Outrageous’, (Paul’s) chops are thick enough???? Poor Paul had his hands full overseeing Jay and Pork Butt Mike.

IMG_7125.jpg

CTredwell is nothin’ but Trouble, the boy can’t seem to follow the rules:

IMG_6873.jpg

If you ever get a chance you must try Chris’ breakfast pizza, yummy!:

IMG_6965.jpg

There were two eggers from Georgia that happened upon the fest through the web. Their names are Chris and Andy and they will a force to be reckoned with. They began their cook on Friday and cooked overnight with the security guard keeping them company. They egged a whole pork shoulder, ribs,
a brisket, and chickens. I feel ashamed after hearing all that! No wonder Kim and Mike signed me up for a remedial course.

Chris and Andy finally getting some deserved rest at the afterparty
:
IMG_7088.jpg

At the top was a large contigent leadby J Barnett Carter with eight cooks and did they ever cook!

IMG_6994.jpg

Of course, our beloved Big’un :) was present with his family providing me with yet another fix of his addictive Carnivore sauces and his fabulous new rub! Did ya’ll know Kenny was on my cooking team the first time I egged at a fest? My is that young man ever growing up.

IMG_6972.jpg

There was so much food cooked and the crowd was so inquisative. I didn't get around during the fest as much as I had planned, but what a did see was some fabulous egging. Very impressive. It was so nice to meet so many new eggers! I missed the Egging 101 course given by Vidalia1…….they said I didn’t qualify, that I would have to go to a remedial 101. Pork Butt Mike’s chicken wing class was crowded to capacity, as well (next time, save me a wing, handsome).

Here’s Pork Butt Mike prepping for his wing class. No sweat, just drinking a beer before his curtain call.

IMG_7012.jpg

Egret coming to pick up what I cooked. I can’t understand why he didn’t just bring a plate???? You’re supposed to eat it John, not pitch it in the trash.

IMG_7025.jpg

There was a plethora of gifts for the cooks. Once again, lady luck was on my side and I won a custom Lawn Ranger wiggle rod commemorating the 2011 Georgia Mountain Fest! Thanks Mike!!!!! Now I own two pieces of Lawn Ranger utilitarian art.

IMG_7128.jpg

IMG_7131.jpg

The generous Ginny (Mint Tulip) is one Georgia peach to have kindly given me one of the Big Green Egg Billy sticks to clean my grid………maybe I should of used this instead of doing a clean burn at the end of the fest.

IMG_7129.jpg

Then it was off to the afterparty given on the top of a mountain surrounded by rhododendrons, a setting sun, more delicious food, and most importantly, wonderful eggheads!

Lady Egret (Joan) and Brenda from BGE finally getting to relax at dusk:

IMG_7081.jpg

The pros coming out to cook:

BobbyQ (Bobby Cresap) cooked some nice, thick, juicy ribeyes to perfection (he was kind enough to cook my asparagus as well). :) I had to fight back the wolves to get some of Bobby's delicious steak:

IMG_7100-1.jpg

Kevin Jenkins cooked a beautiful stuffed pork roll:

IMG_7096.jpg

Legendary egger, YB (Larry) from Augusta, GA came to give Fidel some advice on egging. :lol: Next time I hope he helps me cook!

IMG_6933.jpg

Don’t ask me what Sparky and Pork Butt Mike were up to at the afterparty:

IMG_7108-1.jpg
Figures these two can’t tell a melon from a squash after a ‘few’ beers.

Robin, Dr. Zauis’ better half with those beautiful Georgia Mountains in the background.

IMG_7086.jpg

Leave it to Big’un to converse with a gorgeous woman.

IMG_7084.jpg

And Fidel thinking, “blasted, this ain’t no apron.” Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

IMG_7076.jpg

And last, but not least ………….our hostess and host with the mostest: :blush: Joan & John are both precious pieces of art!

IMG_7068-1.jpg

IMG_7065.jpg

IMG_7070.jpg

I’m certainly going to heed that invitation of Southern hospitality, “Ya’ll come back now!” :)

Comments

• EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    HOLY SMOKES! I sure missed out (in my NGE backyard!) this weekend. I have to hand it to you Rebecca your pictures were fantastic. I busted a gut when I saw Chris Treadwell's!
    I'm glad it went so well. I'll be there next year!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

:laugh: :laugh:

Always nice to see some of the gang and read about the festivities.

Thanks.

Kent
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Rebecca,
    Thanks for all the great pictures and wonderful commentary. Where is the pole dancing picture?
    Your the best. :)
    Jim and Kay

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Rebecca:

Great set of pictures to almost tell the story of how much fun this EggFest was...good to see you again (even if you wouldn't give me one of those ribs! :angry: ...just kidding). Looking forward to next year already.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Looks like a wonderful place, a wonderful time, and crazy Eggheads doing what Eggheads love to do most :woohoo:
    Sure glad Sir Egret restrained himself :whistle:
    Maybe we could all pitch in and rent the Space Station so we could ALL be together at the same time :laugh:
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Published with permission from the National Enquirer.

Here it is buddy, Kay's famous pole dance! Don't you two know this is the bible belt?

IMG_7017.jpg

:blush:
  • tripmac
    tripmac Posts: 17
    I had a great time. (that's me in the far right of Barrett's picture) We cooked all day long and I was beat, but I sure enjoyed it.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Great pictures Rebecca! Everyone had a great time.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Wow
    Great times!!!
    Congrats
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Your the best! :)
    Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Awesome pics, Rebecca. You captured the fun of the fest in your pictures. I definitely want to go to that one next year.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Great post Rebecca
    Looks like everyone had a fantastic time :)

Shane
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Terrific Pics Rebecca, Mickey and I gotta put that one on our list for next year :ohmy: :cheer:
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    You did an amazing job of summing up the fest. It was a treat to get to meet you after all the stories I've heard.

If you get a half second could you shoot me a quick e-mail. bobby@chefcresap.com.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Nice pictures Rebecca...Glad we got to spend a few minutes talking to you and really enjoyed one of your great ribs.The Ward's will be back for sure next year and may stay for the week.John and Joan did a great job.

Larry
  • mint-tulip
    mint-tulip Posts: 171
    Great recap Rebecca and yes a great time was had by all. Thanks for sharing bungalow cooking stall #11. We all had a blast. We can't wait to do it again next year....oh and thanks for Kim's new apron.... :lol: :silly: :woohoo:
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    A great fest & great time for sure....and boy are others jealous of my apron.... :pinch: :silly: :);)
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Hey Jenny I don't think I won't to cook next to Kim with his new apron on.LOL.We enjoyed seeing you guys.
    Larry
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Hey Rebecca,your pics are great,but the stories behind them are even better :lol: I still don't understand why you didn't look near as cold as I did in that Jeep pic Saturday morning though :whistle: :laugh: I had way too much fun for it to be legal,and (as always) it was great seeing you ;)

044.jpg

You do know that us carnie folk have a great time wherever we go,but this fest was absolutely the best :woohoo:

005-1.jpg

030.jpg

023-1.jpg

057.jpg

I really don't remember taking these pics of Dr. Suess :silly:

064.jpg

Are you surprised at where he was heading? :woohoo:

065.jpg

We had fun,but we didn't have to work too hard to serve better food than our "other neighbors" :whistle: :laugh: :laugh:

008.jpg

BTW: Poot and I were checking to see if the melons were ripe yet,we just didn't know that they weren't melons :silly: I can't wait to see you again,you are always so much fun to be around :kiss:

BTW again:Nice camera B) :laugh:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Great post Rebecca. Nice comentary.
    Looks like the perfect place for a fest!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Rebecca this is simply the best recollection of any party ever, you really seem to know everybody & what to say about them :laugh: I think I recognize practically everyone, what a great crowd & what a super fest must put it on my agenda next year, oh & you keep that beautiful smile of yours it suits you.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Great story by picture Rebecca. Really sad that I couldn't make it, sounds like everything was perfect.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Thanks for posting Becca, you do great pics....
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    sweet lady, great meeting you this weekend... great pics.

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    That reminds me -- we never cooked the Spam from the stinky grocery store.

Finest plans laid to waste.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Lots of great memories in this post. Thanks for taking the time to snap and post all these pictures.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I forgot all about the Spam :lol: I hope it's not still in my Jeep :whistle: :laugh: I think the the cashier thought that we were/I was crazy :blink: :ohmy:

067.jpg

I think that the spam will still be just as good next year :sick:
  • c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Great to see you aqain 'Becca! Tons-o-fun had by all! "No Smoking" was a hoot.. B) Thanks for all the pics
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    What a great documentary post, Rebecca. I think everyone had a very good time. I know I did! It was so good to see you again and Joan and I are so happy to have had you as our guest for dinner along with PBM, Jay, and Hilda! We'd love for you to come next year as well.......it's gonna be bigger (can't help it!) and better.