Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon & Fiddleheads

WWSis
WWSis Posts: 1,448
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's that time of year... :P The Fiddleheads have popped; my elderly neighbor (who knows I love them :)) dropped some off for me today. Served with hollandaise (egg yolks, butter, lemon, cayenne and S&P). Did the salmon on water and orange juice soaked cedar. Coated with butter, capers, shallots and orange slices. I also tucked some orange and sprig of rosemary underneath the salmon. Some chopped greentails on top too. It was very moist and good; I'm not a huge fan of salmon anyway.
Here are the little green fernie buggers prior to steaming:
2b8699e9.jpg
The salmon:
e48913c1.jpg
Had some cantaloupe and whipped cream for dessert, and keeping with the theme... Pinnacle whipped with fresca and blueberry pomegranate juice! Yum!

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    heaven :) there was a car beside the road the other day and I was ticked I did not have any cash on me :angry: love the even with just a dot of butteh and some balsamic. heaven :)
  • WWSis
    We do them fried sometimes which is great! I have about half left over, so we'll do up some more tomorrow too :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    so I guess it's too late to go lookin' for fiddleheads here? I always forget!! Never had any, but would love to try some.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Julia, Great fresh flavors you put together! Sounds like a tasty meal!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • WWSis
    Michael. Yea I'm guessing they are gone by down there. :ermm: They have an earthy flavor; you gotta rinse'em pretty good because they can be gritty. Some compare to asparagus.
  • WWSis
    Thanks, Molly! :)
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Julia this is just fantastic......DELICIOSO!!! You played that fiddle like a virtuoso....fiddleheads are very original & unknown to us down here, must try them some time
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I've seen pics of fiddleheads before, but I had no idea they were so big! Don't know if they grow around here either.

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    My Fiddleheads are now 5ft tall. They all seemed to come up the same day this year.
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    edited August 2011
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Julia, you lucky lady! First time I had fiddleheads was about 13 years ago. What a treat. Thanks for sharing such a seasonal, local delicacy. :) It must have complimented the salmon well.