Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time ribs -- technical question

Options
smokeystover
smokeystover Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First attempt at ribs today. Did two racks of baby backs, with the Asian Style Ribs recipe from the BGE cookbook. Naturally, they turned out fantastic, and the wife was extremely impressed. Wish I had taken a picture, they came out so great.

Here's the (silly) question: I foolishly didn't think to cover the drip pan with foil, so it's really a bear to clean. That won't happen again, but is it normal to get thick mounds of tough, baked-on glop in the drip pan, or did I use too much mop and sauce?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I don't mop..but the burnt goop is not unusual...throw away aluminum pans take the pain out of that...I used to line my XL drip pan with foil and it always managed to leak through and stick, and end up a mess just the same...disposable is the easiest answer...good to hear the ribs were a success..
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    That's normal, line your drip pans with foil :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've never used anything but a disposable drip pan. There's a surplus store near me... mostly junk, but they sell aluminum pans for 50¢ each. Perfect size. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    i have the best result with using two sheets of HDAF (heavy duty aluminum foil), larger than your drip pan. The first one I put on from the bottom up and smooth the edges into and down onto the top of the pan. The second one I put on top, smoothing it into the top of the pan and I squeeze the edges down and underneath the pan.

If I just use one sheet, somehow the gunk gets inside and gloms onto the pan.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Congrats opn the ribs. It is always good to keep your lady happy.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Consider the gooped up drip pan a speed bump on the Egging Hiway. If ya like the ribs and mama liked the ribs, then you'll find a solution to the gooped up drip pan. Congrats on acing the ribs. There is nothing more pleasurable than acing something on the EGG....and it never seems to get old!!
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Buy some cheap drip pans from BJs or Sams club. Perfect. Now for the burnt up "stuff". You can roll up some pieces of aluminum foil and use them to elevate the drip pan a bit from the plate setter. Then the pan doesn't get hot enough to burn up. Liquid stays liquid.

Good luck. Congrats on the ribs. Asian ribs sound tasty.
  • smokeystover
    Options
    Thanks, folks!
    Newbies like me always have strange questions, but it's so great to know we can always get good straight answers here.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I buy the disposable aluminum pans at Sam's. I then create an aluminum "hammock" with foil in the pan so the bottom of the foil is held above the pan bottom. Aftern the cook, lift out the sheet of aluminum foil with all the gunk and replace with a new one...easy peasy.