Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate Cleaning

Rafter R
Rafter R Posts: 120
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do you clean your grates after a round of cooking? i.e burgers, low and slow etc

1) burn off the grease then wire brush
2) wire brush only
3) a degreaser (organic or chemical)
4) wash in sink

curious how the Eggsperts do it.

Comments

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I give mine a quick wire brushing when I first fire it up and again once it has preheated. It normally never takes much more than that.

I'm using cast iron, so I avoid degreasers at all costs, I don't want to lose my seasoning.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    clean it? :ermm:

maybe a wire brush when the food is coming off, or (if i had better things to do when taking the food off) maybe a little wire brush as the egg is coming up to temp.

a clean grid is over rated. food sticks only when it is not ready to turn, as opposed to because it's on a less than perfectly clean grid.

think of leaving it alone as 'seasoning' the grid :laugh:

grilledromaine.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I am with Stike, cleaning is way overated :):)
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    th_minisausage015.jpg

click the pic for slide show
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    A man after my own heart. ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    degreaser?? haha - good one! :)

nuthin' here. just heat it up again and throw the next cook on.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fdxegger
    fdxegger Posts: 69
    A wire brush with stainless steel bristles cleans up the grate(very rarely)and the pizza stone. Nothing fancy, I buy them at the welding shop for about $4.00. You can buy a fancy one at BBQ store for about $12.00 that works about as well.
  • faithie999
    faithie999 Posts: 98
    this is how i use my gasser. when i start the egg, i fire up the gasser and put the grate in it. by the time the egg is ready the crud is burned off the grid, and i wire brush it and put it into the egg.
  • Carolina Q
    Man, what a waste of good gas! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Here's what I use, anyone have one of these? I bought it at a local festival years ago, but looked up the name on it and found a web site to the guy that sells them, http://www.roxiesshop.com/custom.em?pid=820838.

MothersDay025.jpg
    MothersDay026.jpg
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    It's called a "grid". ;)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    OK, I'm also with lowercasebill, I don't have a dog, but I do have raccoons! :laugh: :P :evil: :woohoo:
  • Carolina Q
    Man, that really bugs you, doesn't it? ;)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Only because there is a BGE component called a grate. If that wasn't the case, the terminology could be interchangeable. How hard is it to use the proper name? We have people on here posting graphs of temperatures of both pit and meat measured electronically over 15 hours cooks, but we can't get the component names right? People overthinking every aspect of how to cook a chicken, but won't look at the manual that came with the Egg to see what the parts are called.

Yes it bugs me. :)
  • stike
    what about the difference between a 'slab' and a 'rack' of ribs? :laugh:
  • Bacchus
    Well we are not on the Forum of the American Pork Council with the meat being provided with a list of the cuts. ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Half the people here came from the Weber world. Cooking grate, charcoal grate. Deal with it. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• StratoEgg
    StratoEgg Posts: 81
    I use a 3M Barbecue Grill Scrubber on my grid to get some light residue off. Otherwise I just make sure it is vaporized...cleaning is overrated.

Al
  • stike
    this forum isn't run by BGE.

but i think i understand what you meant :laugh:
  • Bacchus
    This isnt a Weber forum and I am not referring to Webers.
  • Bacchus
    Wow,usually I am the only who understands...... ;)

I'm pretty sure BGE does run this Forum, albeit at least partailly from the shadows.
  • Carolina Q
    ok. u win. it's a grid.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    M: I came here for a good argument!

O: AH, no you didn't, you came here for an argument!

M: An argument isn't just contradiction.

O: Well! it CAN be!

M: No it can't!

M: An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

O: No it isn't!

M: Yes it is! 'tisn't just contradiction.

O: Look, if I *argue* with you, I must take up a contrary position!

M: Yes but it isn't just saying 'no it isn't'.

O: Yes it is!

M: No it isn't!

M: No it isn't!

M: No it ISN'T! Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.

O: It is NOT!

M: It is!

O: Not at all!

M: It is!
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    agree. If I ever clean mine it's with a wire brush, and it's only after a butt cook when I have tons of fat all crusted up on the grid. Right before my food goes on I will knock all the hunks off. Other than that, I don't clean mine.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    That is a REAL organic cleaner. Good for you!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Jeff, that is one beautiful photo--perfectly cooked!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    N/M
    Judy in San Diego
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    That is correct.You and Fidel run it. :laugh: ;)
  • stike
    not 'run', 'ruin'. we're ruining it.

least that's what i heard anyway. :laugh: