Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My BGE as a Tandoori Oven- advice needed

eggheadbrown
eggheadbrown Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi

I would like to use my BGE as a tandoori oven and have some questions.

In the post i read about this, the person put a small plate setter (i believe large BGE) upside down directly on the charcoal to prevent flames. He inserted the chicken through the top vent on a long skewer and cooked the chicken around 600 degrees.

questions:

1. i have a large bge and large plate setter so i can not place it directly on charcoal. what can i use instead?

2. will i be able to keep my heat around 600 degrees with just using the bottom vent?

3. Can anyone recommend a skewer to buy? someone posted they just ordered a set from Nishi but never said if they worked well. (http://www.nishienterprise.com/Tandoor-Kebab-Skewers-p/bbq-skewers-2.htm)

Here is the link to the post i read about using BGE as Tandoori Oven.

http://thingelstad.com/big-green-egg-tandoor/

Thanks!

Comments

• Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Some people use a flower pot to hold the end of the skewers.I have a turbo grate so I just stuck the ends o the skewers between the "leaves" of the TG.I used Steven Raichlens wide skewers.I used my adjustable rig to lean the skewers against & keep the meat away from the sides.Here's pics of tandori chicken.I used a lemon to hold the meat in place but since found a whole onion works a bit better.I CLOSED THE DOME WHILE COOKING!I marinated the chicken in a yogurt sauce over night.Check out books"Wood-Fired cooking" and "7 Fires" ( I can't find my copy at this time).I've also done lamb this way..Incredible!
    P1010133-1.jpg
    P1010135-1.jpg
    P1010138-1.jpg
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here are a few tandoori links that I cooked and a few others. Hanging the meat from the top I have tried with an oriental duck hanger and it is not recommended.
    When you cook around the 600F mark the top and bottom or both wide open to maximize the air flow.

I went to the trouble and expense to have a custom pottery holder made and special ordered from Brazil some skewers made for their steak houses (Churrascaria). Love the skewers but the pots were unnecessary. In the future I will get the lump hot and place the skewers along the sides. Be VERY CAREFUL when you open the lid at 600F as the rush of air can cause so problems Have a good set of long arm gloves if you can.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=721499&catid=1

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=490741&catid=1

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=752178&catid=1

Chicken, Breasts, Tandoori, Chef David

Tandoori is a marinade of yogurt, lemon juice, and plenty of spices, then grilled or broiled. Plan to set this up well ahead. This recipe needs to marinate for at least a minimum of 8 hours or preferably overnight.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 3 Lbs Chicken, cut into serving pieces, skinned and trimmed of all visible fat
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    2 Tbs fresh lemon juice or malt vinegar
    1 Tbs minced garlic
    1 Tbs peeled and grated or crushed ginger root
    1 Tbs ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/4 tsp ground cardamom
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1/4 tsp fresh-ground black pepper
    2 tsp salt, or to taste
    Vegetable oil, for brushing
    Fresh cilantro sprigs for garnish
    Slices of cucumber, red (Spanish) onion, tomato and lemon, for garnish

PROCEDURE:
    1 Prick the flesh of the chicken all over with a sharp fork or small paring knife. Take a sharp knife and cut shallow slashes into the flesh of teh chicken to allow the marinade to penetrate.
    2 Place the chicken in a nonreactive large, shallow, metal dish.
    3 In a nonreactive bowl, Preferably a Stainless steel, combine the yogurt, lemon juice or vinegar, garlic, ginger, cumin, ground coriander, cayenne pepper, cardamom, cloves, black pepper and salt. Stir until well to mix and then pour the mixture over the chicken and rub it well into the flesh, turning the chicken over several times to make sure it is well covered . Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 8 hours or better still overnight. (Do not allow the chicken to sit in the marinade for longer than 2 days.) Remove the chicken from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking.
    4 The chicken may be grilled or roasted. If using a charcoal grill, prepare a fire for direct-heat cooking. Position the grill rack 5 inches from the fire. Allow the coals to burn until white ash covers them and the heat is moderate.
    5 Remove the chicken from the marinade, pressing lightly to extract excess marinade, and brush with oil. Place the chicken pieces on a well-oiled grill rack and; grill, covered, with the vents open, turning 3 or 4 times, 45 minutes or until the juices run clear when a piece is pierced near the bone with a knife.
    6 If roasting, preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan, brush with oil, and cook, turning once, 25 to 30 minutes until the juices run clear when a piece is pierced near the bone with a knife.
    7 Serve with sprigs of cilantro and slices of cucumber, red onion, tomato, and lemon.

Servings: 4

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Chef David St.John-Grubb, 2010/10/08
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    updatedpicswebsite004.jpg

For couple folks, I've made 1/4" dia. stainless skewers to go through the dome opening. After loading up two or three skewers, it seems to me the dome opening would get to busy, not sure you could pull out the skewers easily.

tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • have you seen any photos of how a flower pot sits in the egg? I would think a flower pot base/saucer would make more sense.

example: http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=909834&Ntt=909834&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

Should I be concerned about how hot the pot/saucer will get at 600 degrees?

I am still thinking i should be putting my skewers through the top vent unless there is a better way to do this.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Seems a true tandoori is indirect, why not a pizza stone on a spider ring?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• why do you not recommend hanging the meat from the top?

thanks!
  • I ended up buying a fire brick and drilling 3 holes in the center of the brick to hold my skewers. Worked out great.

Would love to add photos but have no idea how to do that.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions