Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long will red oak last?

LPcreation
LPcreation Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Hello all! I just finished my 1st woodworking project ever and couldn't be happier it's for my new egg. I made a few dumb mistakes but I'll take it for my 1st time working with wood.

I was just curious how long I can expect the red oak to last? I live in central PA and we get lots of rain and snow. I've put 1 coat of Flood sealer on it and plan on doing at least 1 more.

Any ideas about how long this should last me?

Thanks!

Comments

• TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    It's pretty difficult to say how long the wood will last. Generally the lifespan of natural wood furniture really depends on what it's exposed to. Will the table be out directly in the elements? Baking sun? Frozen in snow? Rained on all winter? Or will it be under a cover?

Hard woods (Oak, Maple, etc.) will last longer than woods like Pine and such.

Treat the wood with a quality sealer and try to keep it out of the elements. I'm not sure what flood sealer is, but I'll assume it's a waterproof coating. Don't forget to seal the ends of the legs, as these will be most susceptible to moisture.

If you keep on top of the sealer, and don't let the table sit in the snow, it should last you many years.
  • purcellj
    purcellj Posts: 44
    Generally I'm not fond of the deck sealers. I think there performance is vastly overrated. I would recommend a marine spar.

Also a cover will go a long way against weather and UV.
  • LPcreation
    LPcreation Posts: 13
    Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it. On a similar note, I don't really need to worry about the egg getting to hot and igniting the sealer, do I?
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Once these sealers dry, most of the volatile compounds have evaporated. Use something water based if you're really concerned.

I've never read anything about varnish / sealer on any of the egg tables catching fire. I *have* seen some scorched tables from insufficient air flow under the egg.

Anyway - you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Ted