Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Won and large BGE and it has changed our lives!

sodacracker
sodacracker Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My husband won a large BGE in a contest and initially, not knowing what it was, he told me we should sell it. I disagreed, and am I ever glad he listened to me!

In two weeks we have cooked whole chickens, biscuits, bread, pizza, steaks, roasted vegetables. Sometime if I get home from work early I fire it up and then decide what to put in it. It is an amazing cooker.
Lokking forward to winter cooking already :laugh:

Comments

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Welcome and congrats!!wise choice to keep the egg, it just keeps getting better and better!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Welcome to our world ;)
    Sounds like you got the hang of it already :laugh:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• G-squared
    G-squared Posts: 35
    Congratulations,

This site rocks! Great information and great folks.
    LGE
    CIA-81
    Garner, North Carolina
    Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all-Harriet van Horne
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    You will be glad you put your foot down! Welcome! This is a great place for any questions or answers you might have. We love pics here of cooks you might make. Only downfall of the egg is that makes everything else taste bland when not on the egg!!!!! Congrats on the winning!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Good decision and welcome! Lots of Lady eggers here and you will get a ton if info just reading old posts! Julie
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Great to see another female here. We bought our first egg at my urging and now we have 2 larges.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • EggerFromIowa
    EggerFromIowa Posts: 181
    Congratulations and welcome. Looks like his mom trained him well, letting you think it was your idea and all.:)
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    You gave wise advice :)

and your husband was wise to listen :)

In my case, it's listen or else B)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    What a great prize! And you will be thrilled at the winter performance. There is nothing like pulling a hot cheeseburger off the grill in sub-zero blizzard misery.
  • Primeggister1
    Primeggister1 Posts: 379
    Welcome to the forum!

This is a huge family of great cooks and personalities!

Keep having fun with it, that is the secret!

Marc
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Welcome aboard, just watch out for Julie..aka Mainegg, she is from Maine you know....lol :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    ahh yes but Tim... my name does NOT START WITH BUBBA :kiss:
  • crzyedna
    crzyedna Posts: 56
    Congratulations on the win !! The next step is to attend a Big Green Egg Fest, that's the place to see folks cooking and talk to all the eggsperts.

Edna
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Great to have another convert on board. I would love to see some pics of what yall are cooking!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Heck of a Prize, congrats!

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Wow - to have won a large BGE is a wonderful prize! You were very wise in taking the egg for a spin, before opting to sell it.

I have found that after cooking on the egg for a few weeks, eating out just isn't the same. I keep telling myself and hearing from my other half, that "it would've been better on an egg." :)

Definitely see if you can find an Eggfest to attend, and don't be afraid to experiment (or is that eggsperiment?), because even my biggest goofs on the egg, tend to be better than anything cooked elsewhere.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Wow, what a prize! Definitely a wise choice. Glad to see the lady of the house not afraid to fire it up. My wife is still upholding gender stereotypes and refuses to light the egg. I think she just likes me doing cooking for a change.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Lucky you - you won an incredible prize! Welcome to the forum! :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    sodacracker sodacracker sodacracker

Welcome to the forum. ;)
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Attend an Eggfest and your life will be even more changed! Find the first one near you and get going! They are so much fun.....

Spring Hen
  • sodacracker
    sodacracker Posts: 11
    Thanks for the welcome. I

n terms of BBQ, I went from 0 - 60 winning this BGE. :)

Previously all we had was a Weber charcoal grill that we fired up a few times a summer mainly for the kids and their friends to make s'mores.

The BGE is so easy to use - that's what I can't get over. So far, I am the main user of it. My husband seems super happy just eating the results and has only fired it up once. Me though? I looked at it this morning, in the rain, and thought, what can I make for breakfast for the kids post prom breakfast?

The options for bread baking are my next exploration. I bought some differet flours and plan on using the bread maker to make the dough this weekend and then taste test the results :)

Eggfest - I am in Ontario so will have to look to see if, or when, there is one up here.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Nice win! Good decision to keep it. I bought my hubby one for father's day several years ago and he rarely uses it as well. He used to do all the grilling; now I do most of it. I wonder who would get it in a divorce. No matter that we have two now. I would want them both. Oh, well, guess I'll stay married. :laugh:

I'm glad you found the forum. It just makes the whole egging experience that much more fun.