Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Free Internet Music Sources

Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in Off Topic

There at least a couple great sources for music on the internet. One of them is Slacer Personal Radio. Slacer has many great "stations" and has a wide selection of music. I personally like Blues but have found their Folk station which is buried in the bottom of the Rock category is probably the best Folk station on or off the web. A great mix of new and old.

The other great site I listen to is Pandora. Pandora taps into the The Music Genome Project and you set up your own "stations" based on an artist, a song or type. You can train your "stations" to your preferences and after awhile your stations are sounding great.

Both sites have a small amount of "on air" advertising or you can buy subscriptions to get around that I think. I do not mind the small advertising for the great free music. What is really cool is I can listen to either of them on my 46" Sony Bravia HDTV that has internet functions. I think I read that Pandora has a deal with Sony and you do not get the ad's over the TV. The ad's on Slacer are not bad.

A good set of speakers is nice to have. I have a set of Logitech 500W 5.1 surround sound speakers with a 10" sub woofer. They have the Dolby decoders built in and sound great. You can probably connect to an existing stereo.

Any of you know of any other great free music sites on the web? I would love to hear of them if you do.

Have a great day All,

Blair

Comments

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Hey Blair
    Thanks for the links
    I will give them a try :)

Shane
  • Gator Bait

Glad to share Shane, I have been listening to the Slacker Folk station all afternoon and it has been very good if you like that kind of music. I hope that maybe we can learn of a few more great music sites from other forum members. ;)

Blair

• smokeybreeze
    smokeybreeze Posts: 216
    Now, if you want to stream that music your home stereo/AV system/whole house audio system, a $25 license for AirFoil software from www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/ and a $99 Apple Airport Express (using AirTunes) will get you there, you may also need an ethernet cable to attach the Airport Express to your home network (and not use wireless), and you will need a 3.5mm stereo (AirPort Express end) to L/R RCA (Stereo end).

I use a setup like that to stream things like Pandora to our 8 zone whole house audio system.

Without the AirFoil piece, I use that setup to send iTunes music to the whole house audio system.

I am not affiliated with either of these organizations, I'm just letting you know you have options.
  • Gator Bait

Great smokey, thanks for the info. I have a park model mobile home that is about 35' X 12' and zones are a distant dream. :laugh:

That's good information I hope someone can use it, thanks for sharing.

Blair

• CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    I had a sound card installed in my computer and it just plugs into my stereo like a cd player. We have speakers inside and out and a control panel for them.
  • Gator Bait

That should be a nice set up CBBQ, I started using sound cards years ago when I got into computer gaming. I would love to have speakers outdoors but don't know if the neighbors would. :laugh:

Blair

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Grooveshark's pretty good. I like it because I can select an artist and that artist is all I get. Don't care for the genre type places like Pandora (unless they've changed). They offer a pay subscription, but I'm not sure what that gets you. I'm content with the free stuff. Not available for iPhone - Apple apparently won't approve. :)

http://grooveshark.com/#/

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Gator Bait

Thanks Michael, that is one I do not know . . . yet. :)

I will be sure to give it a try.

Blair

• Gator Bait

Hey Michael

I have had time to play with Grooveshark for a few minutes and find it very cool indeed. After joining for free I was able to set up a play list of Bob Marley songs. Sound quality seems very good! I actually had to turn the bass down a little.

Thanks for tipping us off to the site,

Blair

• Carolina Q
    Glad you liked it, Blair.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CBBQ
    Michael,
    Grooveshark is a pretty cool site. I have a collection of about 10,000 songs on my computer(and backup) which consist of a lot of out-of-print classic rock. I was actually able to find some songs I've never been able to locate before. I just stream them into a cd recorder and now I've got them.
    Thanks,
    Bill
  • Carolina Q
    That's pretty cool, Bill! Glad you were able to find them.

I'm not at all sure I've ever HEARD 10,000 songs. In total. Ever. Even counting repeats! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CBBQ
    Lol. I have always been a big music fan. Rather than having the tv on I am usually listening to music day and night. The way my system works my computer has a sound card that plugs into multiple stereos including outside. Our entire backyard is deck and pool with surround-sound hooked into the computer. Our bar out there has it's own satellite dish but usually the music is on when we watch a ballgame or race. I just program what I want to listen to and go from there.

Bill
  • Gator Bait
    Carolina Q wrote:
    I'm not at all sure I've ever HEARD 10,000 songs. In total. Ever. Even counting repeats! :laugh:

Where were you in 60's and 70's! ;)

Blair

• Carolina Q
    Blair, if you remember the 60s, you weren't there. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut