Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dexter knives - any good?

Options
PlanoPokes79
PlanoPokes79 Posts: 207
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wife brought home three knives from a local resturant supply for under $40 buck. A boneing knife, chef and a slicer...all made in USA...seems like a great deal. good handles and all.

Comments

• 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Dexter is a good brand of knife and has been a restaurant standard along with Forschner for as long as I can remember. They are affordable and found in nearly every restaurant. You generally won't find them rolled up in a chef's knife/tool apron but you might leave them to your grandkids and you won't have to take out a loan to buy them. I own several. 18 years in restaurants is my background.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    I don't know much about dexter knives.. but I think he does (~_-)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHtA7A4GOJ6OYvWBeKkRdfaDmEuGbeaj4-VLEeu2p7EprmEaFV
    context is important :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    they're sharp, they dull fairly quick, but extremely easy to sharpen back up. my fillet knives are dexter russels, i keep a diamond hone out when filleting alot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Compared to many widely available knives, the Dexters are pretty good. I've had a Dexter boning knife for years, and it still gets use. Comfortable handle. Hasn't chipped. As said, fairly easy to sharpen. Edge retention is O.K. if you don't try to put too acute of an edge on it.
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    Got em, like em, use em

I especially like the large serrated knife for filetting redfish
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    for those with the dexter knives, are you using the newer blades or the traditional carbon steel, the carbon steel are the only ones ive used

DSC_0420.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Options
    Commercial knife sharpening place in our town has some very used, commercial grade knives for sale around $5 each. They're worn but still usable. May want to see if you can pick some of them up around your town. Great deal.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Most commercial fish houses prefer carbon steel blades and buy them by the case -- they are cheap -- but very easy to put a sharp blade on with just a few strokes of a stone. They also dull faster than any other. I ran a seafood store for two years and had three full time fish cutters working for me and i used to order the carbon steel knives from New York..
  • ChuggaBrew
    ChuggaBrew Posts: 57
    Options