Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vidalia Onions

TheLazyC
TheLazyC Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The local Ruritan Club was selling 10lb bags of Vidalia onions as a fund raiser so I bought a bag.

What can I do with them? Any killer recipes out there?

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I tried to find the pic but I just have to many unfiled pics in photo bucket :( but I 1/4 and toss into a cast iron skillet or dutch oven or what ever you have, a bouillon cube or about a cup of beef broth and a little butter and red wine, dash of Worcestershire sauce. let simmer to soften and caramelize. I do not start with a lot of liquid. serve over steaks or just as a vegi. kind of like a french onion soup with out the soup LOL we do this with the big fl sweets we get down there.
    or just put in a foil pouch and add a little beef broth and butter and close up and cook till tender
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Vidalia Onion Casserole

Ingredients
    1 Package of Club Crackers
    2 Large Vidalia Onions
    4 Eggs
    1 Stick of Butter
    1 ½ Cups of Skim Milk
    1 Package of Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
    Paprika
    Salt
    Pepper

Directions:
    1. Spray 9" X 13" dish with cooking spray.
    2. Crumble pack of crackers and spread out in bottom of dish.
    3. Melt butter and pour half over crackers.
    4. Cut onion into small pieces.
    5. Sauté onions in left over butter.
    6. Spread onions evenly over crackers. Add salt and pepper to taste.
    7. Beat 4 eggs and add 1 ½ cups of skim milk together.
    8. Pour egg mixture over crackers and onions.
    9. Top with grated cheese and sprinkle with paprika.
    10. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until set.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    A stick of butter and skim milk? Interesting combination there.

I just cut up the onions, add some garlic, salt, pepper, butter, and then roast. You can stir them or not, depending on how charred/caramelized you like the tips and the bottom. Terrific side dish.

OnionsChickenOn800.jpg

OnionsDone800.jpg
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Could I post that on our web site at work? R.
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    Show me the bacon!!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    What "CAN'T" you do with them. They are incredibly versatile. Any extra you have, you can carmelize and freeze in baggies for future use in chili, sauces, etc.

Note: There was an announcement yesterday that this years crop of VO's will greatly exceed demand, resulting in the lowest pricing in years. Bad news for South Georgia Farmers, good news for everyone else.
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Those look great! What type of pan is that, it almost looks like a wok. Nice photo.Randy
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Well, I've heard that they are great, but how do you suppose they compare with Walla Walla Sweets? Any other westerners out there?

:unsure:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Send 'em out my way to California. I'll find something to do with 'em. ;)

T
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Thanks for the recipe, Richard. BTW can that be frozen? With the short Vidalia season it sure would be nice to enjoy this year around.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I freeze in pint & quart containers from the chinese restaurants and love it. Make my own croutons and like good cheeses for the top.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    It's a paella pan.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Have you considered bloomin' onions? There are a zillion recipes/methods out there. One of these days, I'll try one.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Thanks - I'll be knocking out a few batches! I love soup and I package them in pint FoodSaver bags, freeze them with a clip and then seal after frozen. I keep Ham & Bean soup, Chili, and Cheese soups on hand year around. It's so handy to grab a bag, thaw and have a quick and easy tasty lunch with no prep to speak of.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    LOVE Vidalia Onion Casserole. Only change we make is to layer sliced smoked sausage into casserole with the onions. This would be GREAT cooked on the BGE!!!
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    LOVE Vidalia Onion Casserole. Only change we make is to layer sliced smoked sausage into casserole with the onions. This would be GREAT cooked on the BGE!!!
  • atlpats
    atlpats Posts: 102
    I eat them like apples, puts hair on your chest.