Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

18x24 Slate for NakedWhiz Table

Brew'nQue
Brew'nQue Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I've been building a table for my new large BGE the past 3 days/nights. I'm making great progress and plan to be done with it by tomorrow night or Saturday morning on one condition; if I can find the 18x24" piece of slate that the directions call for. (to go on the bottom shelf..that the BGE sits on) I looked all over Home Depot and couldn't find anything in a 18x24" size.

What gives? I'm going to go look at Menards tomorrow.

If I can't find slate...can I use something else?

Thanks.

Comments

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    you could use fireplace bricks.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Both of my Lges sit on a 16x16 paving stone [concrete], you don't have to have the 18x24 and you don't need slate unless you just want it! :)
    Paver costs about $2.00 :P
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    I was looking at different types of materials last night. I came across some really neat glass tiles. They were about .5 wide, .5 thick, and varied lengths. All mounted to a mat. They are intended to be mounted to some backer board for strength. I didn't think to see how they would hold up to heat.

I need to find something that will not 'clash' with the color of the poplar wood I'm using.
  • Brew'nQue
    Brew'nQue Posts: 44
    I ended up using a 16x16 concrete paver. I'm still not totally sold on it though. It's worked well so far, but it doesn't fit the area for where it's supposed to be.

In other words, I went ahead and built the table expecting to get an 18x24 block. The 16x16 block rests on 2 1x4s with a few inches overhanging on each side. Doesn't really fit very well. I'll get it figured out someday.
  • BigDaddy65
    BigDaddy65 Posts: 27
    Have you considered granite? You should be able to get a remnant fairly inexpensive.
  • TRPIV
    I have, and am going to run by a few shops this afternoon. Granite is cheap, it's the getting it cut that drives the prices up. I bet I could cut two straight lines with a die grinder.

I only worry about the heat transfer to the wood. Granted, I had this same concern with the original 'slate' design.
  • BigDaddy65
    BigDaddy65 Posts: 27
    As long as you use the egg feet you should be fine. That is what I have been using for 6+ months with no problems and I have had the egg up to 650.
  • TRPIV
    I have no feets. :(

I should just quit being a cheap skate and buy 'em, but 20.00 for 3 green ceramic 'feet' makes me bonkers. I bet if they weren't green they'd be $1.50 each. ;)

T