Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does size realy matter?

Lyneven
Lyneven Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been planning to buy an Egg for some time now, and this year's tax return is making it possible :) I'd always looked at the large model and assumed that's what we'd get, but now I'm wondering if the medium would make more sense. We're down to a household of two, but we grill a lot, and we tend to grill big stuff fairly often. We have folks over frequently (and I hear that ramps up after the Egg comes home). I want to be able to do two Boston Butts at a time, and I'd like to do ribs for 8 in one batch.

The difference in cost is not of too much concern - my bigger issue is the length of time it takes to get to cooking temp, and how the two sizes compare with regards to the volume of charcoal it takes per firing-up.

Many thanks to any of you who'd care to share your opinions and advice (and I hear that Eggheads tend to be an opinionated bunch...)

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    The large is the most readily used but the medium is no lightweight. I have had a medium for a number of years and love it. Can cook 18 lbs of butt, a 13 lb whole packer, a 16 lb turkey, six large burgers or filets, etc. It uses less lump then a large and can cook 16+ hours on a single fill of lump. I absolutely love my medium 98% of the time and wish I had a large instead 2% of the time.
  • Lighting time nearly the same
    Lump not an issue as you will stock up anyway ;)
    Large would meet your needs. B)
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    One of your concerns being how long it takes to heat up....my large I have up to temp in less than 10 minutes with my weedburner. That is more of question of what you will be using to light it. You will end up getting a second eventually so just get your self a large IMO.... Either way, you will have fun! :)
  • Lyneven
    Exactly the sort of information I was hoping for. Thanks so much!
  • Lyneven
    :laugh: I was afraid of that...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You dont HAVE to get the second before next year's tax return. It is in the rules. B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    I've been very happy with the capacity for larger cooks on my large. It can get to 600-700 degrees relatively quickly. It's not a microwave but in 10 minutes I have a healthy fire and heat to sear. Maybe the smaller eggs are faster but I would not think it would make much of a time difference.
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    No question, large is right for your first egg.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    I bought the Large and added a Medium six month later. Love them both.

The Med definitely uses less lump, and gets up to temp a smidgen faster. That said, I would go with the Large, especially if you do ribs very often.

Freddie
    League City,TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Yours is a good question and one that most all of us asked when researching. I was torn between a med and a large since we are just a family of 2. I listened to rationale and opted for a large and suggest you do the same.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bulldog Mom
    Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
    We are a house of two, we first bought a Large and year later a Medium and now small.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    (ATB's........still LMAO!!)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I have a large and use fire starters. I have never had a problem with getting the large to temp within 15 minutes. The large usually has to wait for the food to come to RT. Choose whichever works best into your tax return. Eventually, like most of us, you will see the need to add to your egg family. :laugh:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • transversal
    (Make that ABT's, & still LMAO)
  • transversal
    I have a large and I want another one.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    We are a family of two also, and I am completely happy with the Large size Egg.

B)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    "Ribs for 8 "puts you squarely in the large category in my opinion ;).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I would start with the Large, then get a small or medium when the next money windfall hits. Thats my two cents. ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • kjthiltgen
    kjthiltgen Posts: 38
    I was in the same boat and bought the Large and im glad I did!! This past weekend I smoked a 18.29 lb packer Brisket for a total of 22 hours a NEVER added charcoal!! That fed 16 adults! But my family consists of my wife and our 2 kids (3 year old girl and 9 month old boy) and I have to say when we get all the neighbors together its nice to have enough space in the large.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    L.A R.G.E.!!! ;) You won't be sorry.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I have medium but it is just the dog and me at the house. My boss had a medium a couple of years before me. He and his wife had two small children and they did fine. Used it 3 or 4 times a week but I never heard about any large cooks or parties. I've cooked a 14 pound turkey without any problem. There are more options for a large but so far I don't do ribs or briskets. Got a coin?
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

I have a family of one and not even a dog and have a medium. I say go for the large or even both, why wait? Talk the dealer into a package deal. :lol:

Blair

• FL XL Egger
    FL XL Egger Posts: 50
    only 2 of us, have XL & Med. love both. Not much in the way of after market goodies for Med. I would go for a large.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    I have a large, a medium, a small and a mini. If only because of the number of accessories available and the ability to cook ribs more easily, I would go with the large.

Down the road, should you opt to get another, it's always easier to convince your other half that you need a second egg, when the second egg is going to be cheaper than the first. ;)
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    I got the large to start with, followed with the small and shortly after the small, a medium. If I had it to do over, large, Medium. Naw, I take both the small and medium to the lake every year when the family gets together. Works out great.

You can't live on one egg alone. Well, you can, but why?

Rick in MT
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    get the large...... i'm single,,,,, have no regrets....... rr
  • I'm also on the verge of purchasing my first egg - I've been using the 22.5" WSM - and am concerned that I won't be able to cook a full brisket and ribs on the large - is there any reason to worry here?

Also, any must-have accessories for getting started?

Tips?