Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday Night Fish Fry....

Options
Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dizzy Pig Rocks! Man, was this gooooooood!
Tonight it's Copper River Salmon with Raging River Rub.
Use the maple syrup/butter glaze but I added a little corn starch to thickin the glaze so the glaze stuck on the salmon. Vidalia's pecan wood for smoke and Frogmat in action as well. Pulled off at 140 internal.
BGERagingRiverSalmon0001.jpg

Just the two of us, a his and her dinner.
His,
BGERagingRiverSalmon0007.jpg

Hers,
BGERagingRiverSalmon0008.jpg
Cheers! :cheer:
The recipe; http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesSalmon.html

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Clay, Looks very good and healthy!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Clay,

Gotta echo all you said there...Copper River Salmon, DP Raging River, maple syrup and butter! Great GREAT meal. Having just come off of 7 straight Fridays of fish-something we pigged out on BEEF cauz we could! :laugh:
    Ron
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    You are gettim' ere done my friend, that looks terrific!! :ohmy: :P :woohoo:
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    good idea to thicken it, I have had problems with the mixture just rolling off (the wife likes an extra little bowl of butter/syrup to just dunk it in). Your final plated pictures look excellent
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Looks absolutely delicious! I've got to get a frogmat.... :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    His Hers and Mine. :whistle: :ermm:
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Great dinner, great photos......as usual!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    Options
    I promised my family we are gonna eat that tomorrow!
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Man that looks good. I like the starch idea to thicken the glaze too. Might fine looking meal.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Clay I am not a big salmon lover,yours looks great!! How did you do the glaze? my wife is a big salmon eater and I would love to make it for her.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Very very nice looking meal!!!
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Now that my head is starting to clear with the help of a mug of good English Breakfast tea, I'll add a few observations.
    First, Fish is good for you. Read up on it. The egg does a terrific job of cookin fish, odors stay outside not in the house. And fish cooked in the egg taste better, as does everything cooked in the egg. ;)
    Chris over at Dizzy Pig says that if your not a fish lover this recipe can change your mind about eating fish, it's that good.
    Tips;
    Use real maple syrup, real butter and Raging River Rub to make this recipe authentic.
    Salmon is forgiving, you can grill direct or cook indirect, in a pan or skillet, but direct gives the best flavor. Try not to overcook the fish but again salmon is forgiving and a little overdone still makes a good tasting dinner. Stay with the salmon as it grills, use the thermapen.

***The glaze that I made, about 3 Tablespoons real maple syrup to 3 Tablespoons butter. Before I combined the ingredients I blended in about a teaspoon of cornstarch with the maple syrup. Cornstarch will thicken the glaze mixture as it's heated in a small sauce pot. This will enable the glaze to stick better to the fish as you brush it on-and not run off onto the coals.
    Frogmats are a great for cooking fish, helps to prevent sticking and fish pieces cannot fall through the grid bars.

Egg was at 400 dome when I grilled the salmon.

A great way to serve this fish is bedded on organic greens tossed with a light salad dressing. DianaQ added a few craizens, walnuts, strawberries and a few caramelized pecans to take it over the top with flavor. Oh I feel so healthy! :cheer: :lol:B) Riesling wine, Champagne, or a good beer will work with this dish. Heck, whatever you like to drink will work. :)

Any questions, I'll be happy to answer by e-mail or here. Complete instructions at www.dizzypigbbq.com
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Clay, the salmon looks perfect. Tell DianaQ I love what she did with the salad.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Perfect Clay......even healthy! :lol:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Right you are! Another good tip is to remove the mud vein down the side that's under the skin. Funny but that vein can throw off the taste of salmon a lot IMHO.

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Wow, Clay, your meal looks very gourmet! We are having salmon for dinner tomorrow, will go with this method.
  • Clay Q
    Options
    That's some very nice skinning work on your salmon Ron. :cheer: You are right, that blood vein carries strong flavor. Looks like your fillet is ready to be hit with Raging River Rub!
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Clay, you really know how to treat your lady :laugh: Beautiful
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    Options
    :ohmy: I'm not a scientist, and I'd rather be your cook than your doctor... but as I understand it; the Omega 3's live in that thing you just cut out of the salmon :ohmy: !
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    He must have meant he cuts it off and cooks it first to eat as a snack.