Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef ribs vs. Pork Ribs

tinman
tinman Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
bought some beef ribs tonight, do I cook them the same way as pork?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    986c7dc0.jpg
    <p />tinman,[p]I pick out meaty slabs, peel the membrane, cook indirect at around 230° rack temp for about 5 or 6 hours. I like a rub with no sugar, something like a brisket rub: salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Hungarian paprika, maybe a little cayenne) I will baste or mop about 1/2 way through the cook and during the last hour.
    Many will sauce them during the last few minutes, I serve 'em dry, with sauce on the side.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • tinman
    tinman Posts: 86
    thirdeye,
    mmm, look good, thanks for the tip.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    tinman,
    Here is a good beef rub to start off with. Add or subtract to fit your taste. [p]I forgot to mention that I sprinkle on some rub, then paint on a light coat of yellow mustard, then add more rub.[p]1/2 c. salt
    1/8 cup garlic powder
    1/8 cup onion powder
    1T ground thyme
    1T ground bay
    1T black pepper
    1T cup celery seed
    1T Hungarian paprika
    cayenne to taste. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    BeefRibs.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,[p]I agree, pick meaty ribs and remove the membrane... if not, the membrane cooks up like parchment paper.[p]These were cooked at the temp you described but finishing up a bit faster.
    Nice thing about meaty beef ribs, you get all the beef flavor in a concentrated package... and these are a big favorite here.[p]Cheers!
    John

• WooDoggies, Damn, them ribs are looking good !!! Beef rib are a fovorite around here also. Peace...

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    WooDoggies,[p]Man...every time I see that picture I want to give beef ribs a try. They look so good and your discription "you get all the beef flavor in a concentrated package" has my mouth watering even this early in the AM. [p]Taking my wife to the Philly flower show in a few but might just check the market on the way home and do some this afternoon.[p]Have a great Sunday[p]Chuck

• WooDoggies
    hey Chuck![p]Were you able to find beef ribs? If not, let me know and I can put an order in at my butcher.
    When you pick them up, we can eat tamales at El Ranchero.[p]See you soon.
    John[p]

• WooDoggies
    FatBack,[p]Yes, all is right with the world when you're throwing down on some beef ribs.... I tell you what.[p]john