Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted Asparagus Pasta

Florida Grillin Girl
Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,965
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Who likes pasta?? I love it.

Last night I roasted some asparagus with EVOO, S & P. A perfect amount for the small egg.

P4180150.jpg

I sliced a tomato and roasted it for 10 minutes, then added pesto sauce and some parmesan cheese~

P4180148.jpg

Another pretty evening, it's still slightly cool out when the sun goes down~

P4180149.jpg

I bought this at a gourmet market, and I have been wanting to try it:

P4180151.jpg

Here it is in a CI pan:

P4180154.jpg

Toss asparagus with the cooked pasta and a dressing which was blended EVOO, dijon mustard, crushed garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, finely chopped onion, and red pepper flakes, added in grated parmesan cheese and this (Thanks Zippy and CarolinaQ):

P4180155.jpg

Plated:

P4180156.jpg

P4180161.jpg

It was good, next time some grilled chicken and fresh basil will be added.
This was my pasta fix for the week.
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    that's a nice sequence of pics. Food looks great!
    context is important :)
  • Looks and sounds delicious as usual Faith. This forum really needs a Scratch and Sniff feature. :laugh:

How did you like the smoked duck bacon? Should it really be called bacon if it isn't cured? Hmmm.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looks fabulous, Faith.

What was under the foil under the tomatoes?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin, I have a jalepeno roasting pan that has 3 inch feet, so I put that on the grid above the asparagus, and put the foil covered pan with the tomatoes on top of that.
    It's called homemade 2 layer cooking!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    looks great. beautiful pics all around.
    haven't seen duck bacon up here, just the duck prosciutto hanging in my basment. :laugh:

how was the duck bacon, and how did it compare to duck prosciutto? ...that's assuming you've had any duck-prosciutto before?

(i love the "naturally occurring nitrites in celery powder line". nitrite is nitrite. but i DO love the idea of the bacon. )
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    i like the idea of it too. haven't done it myself.

read the package, it IS cured, and with the same nitrites you cure it with, just delivered via celery powder... excellent marketing, i think :laugh:

i like the duck bacon too. had some at dinner in NYC the other night. charcuterie plate for 'only' 32 dollars. apparently i have ten thousand dollars worth of rancid meat in my basement, according to NYC pricing
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Faith, what a gorgeous meal! Great ingredients.
  • Stike, I have not tasted duck prosciutto so I don't know how this would compare. This is duck breast, with just the thin piece of fat on the edge. It tasted good, but what wouldn't taste good when it's fried in duck fat! It's an interesting product, for sure.

• stike
    thanks. it looked great. the duck prosciutto is actually the same thing, and salt-cured. essentially duck prosciutto is the same, only likely much saltier and dried a good bit. i suppose if i didn't dry it, and sliced it thicker, it would end up like that. perhaps some nitrite to firm it and change the texture too.

anyway, the pasta looked fantastic.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    I see celery powder experiments in my near future. Third time I have come across this concept in two days. Interested to see if the celery flavor is notable.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Awesome looking meal as always FGG!! Nice combinations of flavors! ;) And yet another question on the duck bacon... :laugh: Could you pick up any flavor of celery? You've got my wheels spinning now for alternative curing. :laugh: :whistle: Great post!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Well, that looks delicious Faith!! Nice colors.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Michelle, no flavor of celery that I could detect in the duck bacon.

• Thank you, Molly. I know you would have liked trying the duck bacon, too.

• uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Faith, that looks awfully tasty. Adding the chicken and basil, and using fresh Jersey asparagras, would put it way over the top. Send me a plate of that stuff, please.

Uglydog
  • That looks fantastic but those tomato concoctions intrigue me.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Super great picture post Faith. ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Faith, that looks great!!! I'm due for a pasta/provolone fix myself. Thanks for posting.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Another great cook!
    Faith, please tell me more about the duck bacon!
  • That looks awesome!!
  • DOW, I wish I could tell you more about the bacon. Check here www.dartagnan.com

• Thank you, Scotty. Missed you at lunch last week.

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    TILT!!!!

I made some duck bacon with a standard cure and then cold somked it and it was PDG. I need to do that again.

I have a recipe for making orzo (rice shaped pasta) into something like risotto and you start by toasting the pasta in olive oil and then proceeding like risotto.

I'll bet it would be fantastic with grilled asparagus in it!!!
  • BobS, I cured and smoke some duck breast using the High Mountain cure. It cured for 3 days in the fridge. Here it is on the egg:

PC253792.jpg

Sliced:

PC253800.jpg

The uncured bacon I purchased has a much different texture than this duck breast.

• smoketown
    smoketown Posts: 17
    very simple but looks very good!