Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips needed for Egret's ham

Boilermaker Ben
Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been tasked with dinner for the in-laws on Easter Saturday (Pre-ster, as I call it). I'd like to do Egret's Maple Bourbon Ham, since I hear such wonderful things about it.

Issues: I have no injector
My Saturday is going to be crazy. Dinner needs to be ready in the early afternoon, because we need to have eaten in time for me to be at church by 5pm (singing a duet for the Pre-ster service). But I'm busy from 7-10 am. So with the 5-hour cooking time, I'll need to either get up very early to get the egg lit and stabilized before I leave at 7, or I need to cook at a higher temp, to shorten the time.

Anyone experimented with a hotter cook for this ham? What were your temps, cook times and results?

Where would you guess I could find a decent injector without going mail-order (getting short on time, here)? I guess I've never looked for one, but I can't recall seeing one in the grill section at Ace or Wally-world.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Tossed injector ($59 & $11 one) two years ago.
    Now I buy sprial cut and use my fingers to work in.
    Never went 5 hours, seems ready in 2.5 to 3.
    Do this ham twice a year and it is well liked.
    photo-126.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I agree with Mickey, spiral is the only way to go and it makes the carving so much easier. If you have already bought the ham and it is not spiral cut, get another one spiral cut and save the present one for another project.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=734577&catid=1
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Nice looking ham, bet it makes some killer sandwiches.Thanks for sharing,Randy
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Ben,
    Time to add to your toy box! You can buy this injector at Bed Bath & Beyond for like $11.
    IMG_1654.jpg

I personally like the injected bone in unsliced ham far better as the ingredients stay in the meat and make it terrific!

As for time - yes you can egg it at a higher temp - after all, all you are doing is reheating it - it's already cooked.

You'll like the results of Egret's Ham and I can assure you your family will too!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Ben, here's a hint I call my porcupine tent trick! Egret's mustard/bourbon glaze is best applied the day before and allowed to set in the refrigerator. To keep it nice I break wooden round toothpicks in half to be my tent poles to keep the Saran Wrap off.

IMG_1195-1.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Ron...

I know Mickey has my Wife's new car someday,somewhere.., and Richard makes some'otha best spice blends out there:

But I'm throwin' my chips in with you here, WHOLE is the ONLY way to go IMO...and to me.., for many of the same reasons you mention Ron!

Injectors are cheeep, and for as few times as I use them? Go get a decent one,(my latest is from BPS and has worked great!)
    keep it clean and lubed...and it will last plenty long.

I have never had the Ham go as long as John mentions! I usually assume his times...les about 20%.
    I most always do mine on the small...and that's just how it's always worked out for me.

P1010096.jpg

Ben, you could sart it in the oven (over a rack and pan) while the Egg is heating up after the morning commitment.

then...just move it over when your two temps are equalized...and you're off to the races Baby!!

P1010095.jpg

Listen to RRP... (at least for this recipe)...GO WHOLE!!!

:lol:
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Thanks to all who have responded. I'll take your advice into consideration.

Chubby...it's been so long since I've roasted anything in my oven, that I didn't even CONSIDER that. What a no-brainer. I'll just have my wife put the ham in the oven while I'm out, and then I'll get the egg up and running clean when I get home, and do the rest of the cook there.
    Duh.
    Now, if I can just remember how to turn the oven on.

About the timing, with as tight a time-schedule as we'll be on, I think I'd rather finish early, and keep it warm in a cooler than wind up being late.
  • Chubby
    :woohoo:

Unless you're Waaaayyy early...you can just loosly tent it in the CLOSED and COOLED oven. It will carve much better if it's just a bit cooled...and will still be nice and warm for the table.

One other thing...if you wrap it and cooler it...I think you'll find that that sticky wonderful glaze you've "set" in the egg will slide off by the time go get it out of the humid cooler, unwrapped and to the table!

HTH!!

;)

Have a great Holiday young man!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i second chubby and RRP... the pre-sliced ones tend to allow everything you inject to come right back out again. and they can be easier to overcook, or dry out i guess is more accurate in my case.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ron,

Always with the ruler. :P

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    yup!!!
    IMG_0832.jpg

I had this killer that required both of my hands so I sent it back!
  • Little Steven
    It's just that you make some of us feel...well...inadequate :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubby
    SORRY TO HEAR THAT STEVEN!!

I'M GUESSING ...YOU COME BY YOUR HANDLE HONESTLY!!

:laugh:
  • Little Steven
    Chubby,

The one that smelt it dealt it :laugh: Sorry I worked all night and can't sleep now :blush:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON