Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Source for wood in Philly Area??

JoeFish
JoeFish Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Hi,
I have a Large BGE bought last year and I want to upgrade it's current nest to a table. I see lots of info on plans and have some ideas on building a good table (maybe tile top).
I am having the worst time finding the lumber to purchase.
No one has cypres that I can find. I found some that carry oak or cedar, but we're looking at $250+ just for the wood!!
Anyone have any ideas of what I'm doing wrong here? Anyplace else I can try?

Comments

• Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Joe,

Try 84 Lumber in Douglassville, PA

610 326 8880

Ask for Luke, he's the manager....and thinks he may be able to get cypress. I dont think you'll find it to be much cheaper than the other options you mentioned though.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Joe, look for hardwood lumber dealers. I know that cypress (one of the more popular egg table woods) is not a hardwood, but you will often find it at hardwood dealers. This one in Marcus Hook PA, for example...

http://www.alanmcilvain.com/lumber_detail.php?sp_size=Cypress

In my area (central CT), there are two hardwood dealers who carry cypress. Price here is $3.40/ board foot for 4/4 (1" thick before finishing) and $4.40 for 8/4. Teak, otoh, is $30 for 4/4!!! A board foot = 1"x12"x12".

Good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut