Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron Fajitas For Dinner

Options
Florida Grillin Girl
Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,972
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I marinated some shrimp and egged them up~

P4040012.jpg

I rolled them them into a sushi roll, along with some avocado and carrot~ this was only my 2nd time making sushi

P4040019.jpg

Julie Mainegg got me in the mood for some gin. Daisy the pig was happy there was no pork in the house tonight!

P4040007.jpg

Next it was flat iron steak. This was the first time I have found it in the store. I wanted to try it for fajitas.

I marinated it in EVOO, soy sauce, garlic, scallion, lime juice, cumin and cayenne~

Egged at 550-600, along with some sliced onion~

P4040016-1.jpg

It was thin and didnt take long, here is is sliced, nice and juicy:

P4040022.jpg

Plated with guac and sour cream, cheddar cheese and the grilled onions~

P4040023.jpg

Who needs a tortilla?

P4040037.jpg

I will definitely buy the flat iron again if I see it in the store, it was great for fajita meat.
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Faith:

Looks like the sushi class worked! Very tasty looking!

Flat iron steak is great for fajitas...looks like you nailed it too!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Beautiful post, Faith.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    It all looks delicious...have fun this weekend. B)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Wonderful cook, thanks for sharing. What temp and how long did you cook the flat iron? Was it Marinated? I have had less that stellar luck with that cut of meat on any grill.

BGE+Cooking = Thinking very far away for the box
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Great cook and pics!! The shrimp looked fantstic on the grill and in the rolls.
  • jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Options
    No Tortilla?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

SACRILEGE!!! Sacrilege, I say. :whistle:

B)

Good lookin' chow, ya got there. :cheer:
  • doubleA
    doubleA Posts: 20
    Options
    now that is what i call a "picnic" bite (a little bit of everything)
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    man that's great!
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Faith I thought it wasn't you at first with the little sushi roll :woohoo: , but as I rolled it down & saw the gin & big chunk of meat....I realized no one else but Faith, that flat iron looks to die for
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hi Jay. I need lots more practice on the sushi!

The steak was great!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Austin Egghead,

I marinated it for approx. 2 hours with EVOO, soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, scallion, cumin and cayenne pepper.

Egged at 550-600 for 2-3 minutes a side. it was too thin for the thermapen, so I just guessed on timing. It came out perfect and very tender. Perfect cut of meat for fajitas.

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Jaymag_87, it didn't even need the tortilla, I tasted all the ingredients in one bite so you don't miss the tortilla!

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I like flat iron for fajitas just as much as flank steak. They are both good, but slightly different from each other.

Great looking meal you put together.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    Faith those fajitas look spot on. After living in Texas for 25 years when we moved to Montgomery we haven't any true fajitas, but yours looked perfect, the sushi had a nice presentation. Thanks for sharing, Randy
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    mmmmm Gin :laugh:
    Looks really tasty Faith
    Great pics :)

Shane
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Well, Randy, it looks like you are going to have to make your own! I like skirt steak, hanger steak, or flank for fajitas. Now flat iron goes on the list.

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Shane, so you like gin, huh? I have a good recipe for you, for whenever your weather warms up. Muddle sliced cucumber and lime in the bottom of a glass, add tonic and gin and stir with a fresh rosemary stalk. It's very refreshing.

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thanks, Beli. It was only a 1 lb. piece of meat, not a hunk-o-meat at all. It made plenty for fajitas though.

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Thanks Faith
    I will try that this summer, it does sound good :)

Shane
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Faith,

Vey pretty! Nice cooks.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FSM-Meatball
    Options
    Where did you get that crescent shaped cast iron pan? I need more eggcessories.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    FSM meatball, I have 2 of them, purchased at a restaurant supply store. They are made by Lodge. I also have an oval CI that is used to serve fajitas at restaurants, and I bought that at Restaurant Depot.

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Hey faith, Talk to me about the sushi roll, not the shrimp inside. When I have done California rolls, (marinated veggies for the innards) I make sticky rice and purchase seaweed, then assemble. Wondering if that was a pre made item.
    Great meal!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    That looks GREAT Miss Faith!That is how my wife likes to eat them,sans tortilla. :)
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Faith... it all looks great! I really like the flatirons too. The ones that I've made have great flavor and seem more tender than flank. The sushi is really a nice presentation.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Molly, I took a sushi rolling class last weekend, so this was my first time rolling it at home. I need practice getting the rice
    done a little better next time.

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Dale, it was really very tender. I have not been seen this cut in stores here before, so I hope I will be able to find it again. Really, it's a tasty cut of meat.

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hoss, it tasted just as good without the tortilla!