Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hummus?

Options

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I always thought it was something you used in the garden..
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    Totally funny! And Rascal's comment is great! Yes, it is fertilizer!

Seriously, that stuff ain't bad. And I also didn't know what chick peas is. I said the same thing: Oh, then why didn't ya say garbanzo beans in da first place?

Here is the recipe I use. It came from my ex-vegetarian girlfriend like 20 years ago. Moosewood restaurant, in San Francisco, I think:

Moosewood Hummus
    (Moosewood Cookbook) with my notes added:

1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and boiled until very soft or 1 15-oz. can of chickpeas

3 medium cloves garlic, minced

1-1/2 teaspoons salt

Dash of tamari (or omit salt altogether and just add a little more tamari) - - you can also substitute soy sauce if you cannot find tamari

Juice of 2 medium lemons

3/4 cup tahini (this is the key ingredient, it is sesame paste. DO NOT substitute peanut butter, like I tried once....)

1/4 packed cup finely minced fresh parsley

Freshly ground black pepper and cayenne pepper

1/4 cup minced scallions (green onions OK)

Just throw all this stuff in a food processor and grind up to a paste. Taste it. Don't be afraid. Add ingredients to taste. Extra virgin olive oil might be nice. . . .

Of course, there are some other items you can throw in, like roasted peppers, roasted garlic, and other stuff.....

Here is a hint!
    If you have a Togo's sandwich shop near you, go there, and try a sample of their hummus - for free. If you don't have one of them places near you. Sorry. No freebies.