Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasketless?

BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Every time the temp goes down my gaskets stick shut. I'm thinking I will peel off the gaskets and work without them. Anyone out there that can provide some feedback it would be greatly appreciated by me. I would like info on low & slow. Does this affect the way the dome sits on the lower half. Thanks. Good luck to all.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Mine has been gone for over 2 years.I have had NO problems cooking without it whatsoever. :)
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Read several posts like "Hoss" saying it doesn't matter. Seems like the biggest difference is the cushion between the lower and top 1/2s is gone. Seems like a nonfactor to me. I have my egg in a table now and when my gasket goes, I'm only replacing the bottom so I don't have to take it apart.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    My large egg has virtually no gasket and I have been cooking on it with out difficulty for over a year. It is in a nest and I move it all around out property to cook on it at our garage separate from the house.

When you have no gasket on the base or dome you should be careful not to close the dome to the base very hard because they will hit and clunk when making contact real hard.

After you remove your gasket close the dome and look all around the egg where the base and dome meet. If you see a gap loosen up the bans and the hinge and push the dome tight to the base and re-tighten. If you don't see a gap don't worry about it.

As long as you can control your temps and cook and when done cooking close the bottom and top vents and the lump goes out your good to go.

I have smoked ribs on this egg for 5 or 6 or more hours and have had no problems as well as boston butt cooks lasting overnight.

I have two large eggs. The other has a nomex gasket and is in a table and doesn't go anywhere. It does most of my low temp cooks because it's stays close to the house.

I plan to put a new gasket on my first egg soon because I can. I want to experiment. Lots of eggheads have experimented with gaskets and some have continued to have problems and some have done so with great success. It's your egg so try to enjoy it. :)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    3 Eggs no gaskets.
    Not going to replace....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    My eggs with gaskets snuff out the fire faster after I am done cooking, saving lump for my next cook. Performance while cooking appears to be the same. Everyone seems to have different experiences. Whatever people have (gasket or no gasket) seems to be the best. ;)
  • 3ggl0ver
    3ggl0ver Posts: 13
    I have to agree about slamming it shut. After a beer or two and you become perhaps a little ham fisted and as your closing the grill a little hot grease drips off the pizza you were baking right onto your one good hand....That loud noise was the grill lid falling the last few inches. Even with a gasket, that's no way to treat an egg because ceramic just doesn't have the kind of spring back you would hope.

If you could solve your unhappiness with the gasket sticking shut and not have to replace it as often--that would be better than going without it. It sounds like your gasket sticking problem is a combination of grease glazing on the top being stickier than the adhesive on the bottom. If you've got that much grease it's either way old, or didn't seal tight enough in the first place to prevent the grease soaking the whole gasket.

Steam might help - try a little water in the chimney to put the fire out. Might be time for an upgrade. I've been happy with my new gasket from www.high-que.com . They know a lot about high temp there and the adhesive is very sticky.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Hoss wrote:
    Mine has been gone for over 2 years.I have had NO problems cooking without it whatsoever. :)

This. Plus a year.