Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting all dressed for the Fest

bubba tim
bubba tim Posts: 3,216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy Fellow Eggheads,

It is that time of year when you can go to an eggfest in many different areas of the land. Most of you know when LC and I go to a fest, we travel with four eggs in a trailer. Since it has been almost a year and well over a hundred cooks, the "Girls" needed some cleaning and gromming. Got to keep my Girls purty! So I started with two Egg Mates that needed attention. One set was already sealed with urathane and the other was raw greese stained, wood. First step is to remove the mates with a 7/16 wrench and gather the tools.

DSC00125.jpg

One of the raw Mates:

DSC00127.jpg

Clean the mates with denatured alcohol and let dry for 15 minutes.

DSC00128.jpg

I then sanded with 220 grit to get down to raw wood. My intention is not to make a furniture grade finish but something that can be easiely cleaned.

DSC00129.jpg

I might as well throw in the handle for Ole Lady..

DSC00133.jpg

Three coats of urathane and we are good.

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

Now for the DFMT that was rusted.

DSC00136.jpg

DSC00137.jpg

All brushed and scraped and ready for bacon grease and a 275 degree oven for 2 hours.

DSC00141.jpg

Seasoned DMFT...

DSC00143.jpg

Add two new gaskets...(not the we use them alot, but some eggheads may close the dome too hard and may chip the egg) Bad Juju... :angry:

DSC00138.jpg

All done and ready for the Sunshine State Eggfest.

DSC00144.jpg

DSC00145.jpg

I hope this helps and gets you motivated to spruce up your own egg. Should you have any questions, pls email me.

ps. The Sunshine State Eggfest is almost sold out. If you want to come, don't delay. We have limited room on the deck. See you all in 18 days and .......(See Julie's Clock)
SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP

Comments