Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

We egged and gasket fried

Options
TassieLady
TassieLady Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Only 5th cook, tried pizza, yummy (despite not getting temp high enough 500f only). But gasket fell off and got fried. Spent all day reading gasket related posts!
We are being sent a replacement felt gasket, but wonder, since BGE so new, if now is the time to replace with a better quality/longer lasting gasket.

Before I go further, remember we live in Australia.
Cannot get Nomex here, emailed McMaster's in US, but no reply to date. Cannot get Rutland. Even 3M Super 77 not easy to find! May be able to get Cotronic tape, but cannot find out until tomorrow, just one company supplying high heat resistant materials, mainly for medical needs 'autoclaves'?
But can get Permatex Ultra Copper.

Read all the posts re Permatex, seems it works well as a 'stand alone gasket'. Please could anyone who has used it like this give feedback re the following.
2 or 2.5 tubes for a large BGE?
Was it applied to both base and lid (protective oil coated plastic film/wax paper inbetween of course!).
How thick was the bead applied, stand alone use.
Surely it will all 'squish out' once lid lowered for curing purposes? Read somewhere a suggestion of using spacers to counteract the 'squish', but then will it form a good airtight seal?
Finally, how well has it lasted? Read that 'ranger ray' used it very successfully.

Many thanks in advance, apologies for the long post

Comments

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    I have a small and fried my gasket early on....I did not replace it for several months, and was beginning to think that I wouldn't bother. I was able to continue egging quite nicely without it. The only drawback was using more lump. When we bought the egg, the dealer actually gave us 2 extra gaskets! One day I came home from work to find that my husband had replaced it. I'm sure some of the more experienced eggers will weigh in with techniques on replacement - and some will tell you they don't have a gasket on and don't plan to replace theirs. Either way, keep on egging! :ohmy: :)
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    A post in two parts, (1) what I know and (2) what I've read:

1a. The felt gaskets - waste of time, especially if you're cooking at higher temperatures, as they will not last.

1b. I need a gasket to do the low-n-slow cooks I like (brisket, pulled pork, ribs, etc) - those situations where it's important (critical?) to control the amount of oxygen getting to the fire.

1c. I've had so-so success with the Rutland glass gaskets. Can't seem to get a really good air-tight seal like I had with my first felt. But that might just be installation error on my part.

2. I've never cooked without a gasket so this is all hearsay but it seems to make sense to me: If you are doing high heat cooks (steaks, pizza, etc), I've read you don't need a gasket. And this makes sense - for higher heat fires the problem seems to be getting enough oxygen to the fire, not limiting it. :)

It will be quite interesting to see what the experts (I'm not one) have to say, if anything, about my thoughts. :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    TassieLady, welcome!! Here's a link on how to make a gasket solely from Ultracopper. The post was made right after he did it so it doesn't address longevity. If Frank doesn't see this thread, you can email him through the forum to ask how it's holding up. Just click on his name at the top of the post and select "send email".

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1020644&catid=1

Mcmaster's web site says they ship worldwide... "We can ship our products throughout the world using air and ocean transportation services. We evaluate international orders from all new customers to determine whether we can accept them." So, yes they do, but it sounds like you're still going to have to wait to find out if they WILL.

If you prefer Rutland, send an email to forum member RRP. Not sure if he ships overseas, but if he does, he can provide the gasket material and instructions. I've had a Rutland on mine for over a year and have been quite pleased.

Lots of folks here don't bother with a gasket. They say it works well for them regardless of the type of cook; from low temp all nighters to hi temp pizza. Personally, I like the cushioning effect.

Good luck!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I replaced my gasket with a woven tubular oven gasket. Cut to fit, glued with copper. Easy. No problem. Get it from your appliance dealer in parts dept.
  • TassieLady
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:
    TassieLady, welcome!! Here's a link on how to make a gasket solely from Ultracopper.

Michael, thank you! :cheer: Thought I had read all posts, but missed that one - the most important one, read and digested the whole thread!
    I will pm frank also. Since we can get the Ultracopper 'down under' and the other gaskets are going to be more tricky to obtain, it does seem the more sensible way to go, hubbie not phased by prospect of doing it - retired marine engineer, understands principles involved!
    My only concern is that it will not look 'very pretty', silly woman :blush:
    Will post with updates
    Janet
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You're welcome, Janet. Hope it works out for you. By the way, it turns sort of brownish after a while. If that is more to your liking. :)

Don't know much about the food safety of the material. I used it to attach my Rutland though. As have many others. As far as I know, neither have been certified as food safe. I don't think that necessarily means they aren't, just that they haven't been certified as such. Could be wrong about that. I figure I'm not cooking on the gasket! :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Sounds like you received some great advice. Just thought I'd mention I had the same experience. Replaced with a nomex from the dealer and is holding up fine. I realize you are not able to order a nomex...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    If I read the Material Safety Data Sheet (http://www.permatex.com/documents/msds/01_USA-English/81878.pdf) correctly and if the associated research was read correctly, there is not much, if any, concern once the material has cured. FWIW - I use the stuff as an adhesive for my gasket material.
  • hayman
    hayman Posts: 25
    Options
    I replaced the felt with Nomex. I did it only on the bottom half. I used the Copper RTV as adhesive. I ran an 1/8" bead of RTV down the center of the top flange and placed the Nomex on the bead.

I cut waxed paper in strips and laid them on top of the Nomex to prevent the RTV from accidently adhering to the dome. I closed the dome and lifted about an inch and let it drop. I did this several time and then left everything to sit and cure for about an hour and a half.

The instruction says 24 hours for the RTV to cure. I was planning on doing a pair of butts that evening so I filled up my chimney up with some Kingsford that I will probably not ever use and placed it in the center of my empty eggs and let it burn not getting above 200 degrees and let it burn for a couple of hours. I did the dollar bill test for the seal and it was better then when I assembled the new egg.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Tassie - received your note and sent a reply.