Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Delicious rack of lamb

Options
Fluffyb
Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was looking for a recipe the other day in an old cookbook, Best Recipes from the L.A. Times, published in 1990. You know it is a good cookbook when there are splatters throughout! While paging through I saw a recipe from Trader Vic's in Beverly Hills, one of my old haunts from the 80's, for Indonesian Lamb. Had almost all the ingredients so gave it a try.

As JL says, "The Raws"
001-62.jpg

Into the marinade
002-67.jpg

Since we only had 1/2 a rack of lamb, I picked up a snow crab cluster at the market to make a salad with.
003-69.jpg

Put some of the marinade over sweet potatoes.
004-55.jpg

Put the potatoes on the egg at 375 for about 20 minutes, then bumped it up to 400 and added the lamb for an addtional 15 minutes.
006-51.jpg

Perfectly medium rare lamb! The salad was exceptional too.
007-54.jpg

And Bella enjoyed a bone or 2.
010-31.jpg

Here is the recipe. The combination of flavors was outstanding. I didn't have curry powder, so used sate seasoning & turmeric instead.

Indonesian Rack of Lamb
Trader Vic's

1/3 cup finely chopped celery
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 clove garlice, minced
3/4 cup oil
1/4 cup vinegar
2 teaspoons steak sauce
3 tablespoons curry powder
2 dashes hot pepper sauce
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup prepared mustard
juice & peel of 1 lemon
Rack of lamb w/6 chops

Saute the clery, onion and garlic in oil. Add the next 8 ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and chill. Add the rack of lamb to the mixture and marinate for 4 hours. Drain the meat and put on the egg stablized at 400 for approximately 20 minutes, turning once. Baste with leftover marindade.

Comments