Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Western brand smoking chunks

fiercetimbo17
fiercetimbo17 Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How does everyone feel about western brand smoking chunks? Ive read naked whiz is not a fan, a search on here turned up nothing and google search gave positive reviews along with amazon.
They are the only chunks I've been able to find locally lately and im not sure I'm a fan of them. I feel like the cooks I've done with them have been unpleasingly smokey.

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

The Naked Whiz on his site is not fond of them, I on the other hand have not noticed anything wrong with them. Lately I have been getting Weber chunks at the Ace Hardware just up the street here. I have noticed it can have a lot of pieces of bark. It comes in a clear plastic bag so if you work at it you can see what the contents of the bag is. Western and Weber are the most common around here, we are in a grilling waste land when it comes to a selection. :(

Blair

• FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    What are you guys paying, roughly, per pound for the chunks?

I've been paying $2/lb (shipped) for just about any wood one can imagine.

I can get a lot, locally, but at a greater expense per pound. And I've put up ads on the local craiglist looking for wood, but came up with nothing, so I placed an order online, and have been happy with my purchase.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Sorry but it has been a while since I have bought any, I couldn't even tell you what I paid for the last bag. I am getting low, I have been mixing anything I can find. The last time I smoked I used a mix of equal parts of hickory, apple and mesquite and liked it very much. :lol:

Blair

• mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    this is where i get mine. shipping inc. in price

http://www.smokinlicious.com/index.php?home
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I've used Western, nothing really special about the wood, odd looking hickory chunks, mild (weak) aroma.

How about scavenging around for small pieces of hickory lumber- flooring material, trim boards, unfinished of course. Chop it up and you got good smokin wood. If you know anyone that works with lumber they could give you some scrap end cuts; hickory, black cherry, white oak, alder. Out in the woods there are dead branches on the ground, if you know your trees, bring a small saw for free wood. Apple orchards will let you take a few branches of apple wood out of their trim pile.
    Just sayin there are other sources for good smokin wood, all less expensive and often better aroma than the stuff from a bag in a BBQ store.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I think it all depends what wood you are using. I prefer fruit woods (apple specifically) and hardly use anything else. I have used and like cherry and peach too.
  • I bought western apple cherry and pecan from my local academy and my experince has not been good with any of them. I think im getting 10 lb bags for 4.99
    Has anyone bought from this website?
    http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com/
    Prices look good and they have free shipping
  • FLbobecu
    fiercetimbo17 wrote:
    I bought western apple cherry and pecan from my local academy and my experince has not been good with any of them. I think im getting 10 lb bags for 4.99
    Has anyone bought from this website?
    http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com/
    Prices look good and they have free shipping

I have not - but have heard of people using them. Before, it was those prices PLUS S&H which made it rather expensive. With free S&H it's a much better deal.

This is where I get mine:

http://www.baxtersoriginal.com/bbq-smoker-woods.html

And if you work something out with Michael via e-amil, he'll cut you a deal. I paid $40 for 20lbs of wood, shipped. I got 5lbs of Cherry, 5lbs of Pecan, 5lbs of Apple and 5lbs of Peach.

Because I didn't know what flavor(s) I liked, so I got a variety pack.

Excellent quality wood.
  • Crimsongator
    How many chunks are you placing around the lump before you light it?
  • FLbobecu
    Crimsongator wrote:
    How many chunks are you placing around the lump before you light it?

Depends on the size of the chunks.

Usually 2-4, for me. I like a "mild" smoke. Some like a very smoky flavor (ie. lots of chunks for lots of smoke) - I'm more on the mild side of how much smoke I want.
  • I normally put 2-3 on the top and let them smokedfor 30 mins or so.
  • Crimsongator
    That's not alot. If that is too smokey, try a few cooks with no chucnks and see if the natural smoke from the lump is more to your liking. It is not necessary to add them unless you want to.
  • FLbobecu
    Crimsongator wrote:
    That's not alot. If that is too smokey, try a few cooks with no chucnks and see if the natural smoke from the lump is more to your liking. It is not necessary to add them unless you want to.

Anything more than 2-3 chunks, usually, for us, is too much. Usually 3, is perfect, over the course of a smoking session. Usually I pop 2 on right before I add the meat, and 1 more about 15 minutes after the 2 chunks have burned off/out.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    They sent me some products to play with (maine grilling woods) and I was pleased with everything they sent.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Yeah, I am not a fan of any company that sells spalted and rotten wood as smoking chunks. Very disappointing. Smelled of mold sometimes, too. Yuck.
    The Naked Whiz
  • I have some chunks i like at another store they have been out for a while. They had some apple and pecan yesterday when i stopped by so i grabbed some and will throw this western out. Luckly it was cheap.
    I think im going to give the maine woods a try they have some interesting sounding flavors.