Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GG and Turbo Grate

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Kent where is the jury on Turbo Grate now?
I am still happy with my decision to pass it on.
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Even if you don't want to use it buy one.
    Just hang it next to your Egg. It looks way cool spinning in the air. I believe it chases away evil gas grill spirits. :laugh:
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Smart move IMHO> ;) Mickey call me when you get a chance.
  • I like mine. It works very well.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I gave mine away to someone, just don't remember who. -RP
  • Mickey
    Darian, chases away evil
    gas grill spirits like this one:
    photo-5-1.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hahahaha, the flare up gods have avoided my turbo grate like the plague and I have no air flow problems unless I empty the vacuum cleaner into the egg. (just kidding). Last Sunday I cooked my chicken on a load of lump that was left over from a previous cook for 3 hours at between 300º and 400º, no big deal but it ran perfectly. I have no idea if any or all of this is due to my turbo grate as it is the only lower grate I have ever used. I often can rap on the top of the turbo grate four or five times with my ash tool just before I lighting and knock ash down from the previous cook. I do not use a wiggle wire from the bottom up but have an old stainless CB antenna that I can pock from top down but that would probably work with a regular grate.

I keep telling myself that I am going to put the regular grate back in just to try it but never have, no need but to satisfy my curiosity. :)

Just my 2¢, I like the turbo grate and have no negatives about it even if it does look like giant Christmas tree ornament. :lol:

Blair

• Photo Egg
    Yes, even talking about the Turbo Grate chased that one away.LOL

With the gas line already there it would be great to build in a Power Burner station of some kind.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    If you get some Roundup on that sprout when the temp gets above 60°, you should be able to kill it off....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mickey
    Darian I had not thought of that. Will look into it as we are thinking redo on patio.
    Was thinking of firepit kind of deal but the burner would be better.

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

:) The TurboGrate is still in the large mostly because I am to lazy to remove it.

I don't have any way to quantify but I feel like the TG uses more lump than when using the fire grate. It is possible it 'feels' like I am going through more lump due to the way the lump has to fill in around the fins.

The TG does assist in getting a quicker light and reaching temperatures faster.

I also like the way the TG deals with the lump after a cook and before the next cook. Just a small shake and rotating the TG removes the ash and and the lump is ready for another 'fill up'. I just dump in what new lump I need for the next cook.

With the fire grate I have to stir the ash, move it to one side then the other in order to clear out the ash and very small pieces of left over lump. I also have to insure I don't have anything blocking the holes in the fire grate.

When the snow melts and it gets a little warmer out here I will remove the TG and use the original fire grate for a while.

I don't think I wouldn't spend the money to buy new TG.

I really appreciate you sending the TG to me and remember it is always yours. If you ever want it back just let me know.

Thanks Mickey I appreciate getting the TG. If I decide I don't want to keep using the TG and you don't want it back I will offer it the same way you offered it to me.

Kent
  • Mickey
    Whiz can’t use Roundup. That is the closest thing I have to grass back there.

• Mickey
    Kent it is yours my friend. Do with it what you wish.
    I would like the fire grate to have larger holes or be more grate like.

• Grandpas Grub

Good comments Blair. The same with me. I didn't think about the lack of flashbacks and not using the wiggle rod since I put the TG in.

If I load the lump up full I can get 3 or 4 whole chicken cooks before ever having to put in more lump. I don't even touch the TG or lump bed between the cooks.

Several times I have been going to remove it then I talked with Ross (Ross in Ventura)and how much he likes his TG. At that time Ross was doing a lot of searing of beef cuts.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub

I agree with the larger holes in the fire grate.

Kent
  • Photo Egg
    I had a real nice side burner on my Weber Summit Gas grill. Used it all the time. Cooking Bacon, onions, boil seafood and such. All the things that made a big mess in the house. Sear a roast with bacon grease before a DO cook.
    ChuckRoast_006.jpg

ChuckRoast_012.jpg

I sold the grill and purchased a stand alone Fire Magic burner that I need to install. Really miss it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    I'm with Kent.I haven't had any issues with holding temps or getting the fire started.I forgot what happened to my home-made wiggle rod.I just shake the TG before starting a new cook.
    I might go back to the original grate next time I clean out the egg just to see the difference in performance and lump use.
  • Photo Egg
    The lump usage is an issue I thought I read about before on another post.
    You know, I always think I burn more lump when I use my Guru. Slow, natural draft might burn less. I don't know?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • davehemp
    davehemp Posts: 109
    I agree with most of Grandpa's thoughts. I'm happy with mine - mostly better airflow, and more even burn, in my opinion...I wouldn't call it a "must have" by any means, and it is overpriced, but glad I have it and will continue to use it. I think it just seems to burn more lump partly because it displaces some itself, and if you fill to the same level as you had before the TG, you are actually putting in less...
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    I'm very happy with the Turbo Grate. I was having a hard time with getting a fire started and temperature control. Every cook seemed like a struggle. The TG is easier to light and easy to control. I see no negatives.