Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the Deal with the Seal?

hayman
hayman Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I spent $1100 + on my new XL BGE two weeks ago. Made a brisket, a shoulder, two steaks and two pizzas.

I did the recommended three burns at 300 degrees before going for the Pizza temp, was told that cures the glue on the seal.

Last night while doing my second pizza I noticed a smell and as I'm removing my pizza I see the seal is smoking away. I also think that smell cooked into the pizza.

Now I have to replace the seal?? This makes no sense that the BGE Co. would sell these things with this known problem.

Now I have to mail order a new seal or travel 50 miles to buy one from a BGE dealer.

Any recommendations or tips in replacing this thing? Any other alternative to the seal?

Frustrated in PA.

Bill

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    It is not a HUGE deal. we have all been there done that at some point. just contact your dealer and my bet is that on a 2 week old egg they make good on it. You could also change to a diff gasket like so many of us have. you can also run with out one or just replace on the bottom. it does help cushion when closing though. the gasket on my large is almost non eggsistant LOL still cooks fine, but it does have a tighter fit than any of my others. deep breath and relax ;)
  • jurisdoc
    jurisdoc Posts: 77
    I agree with you - BGE should figure out something a little better than the present gasket. They did fix the cheap-o thermometer (replacing it with a tel tru) now they need to work on the gasket.

Regardless, it's not the end of the world. Mine was gone in a few weeks too (probably from overuse!). I decided to go with a Rutland gasket. Search the board for it or check out http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm Cooked at 850+ and no signs of damage at all.

For the XL, you will need more than comes in a standard pack. Contact RRP on this board via email. He'll hook you up.
  • Search Rutland flat 5/8 gasket on the Nakedwhiz website. Do not believe any negatives about the rutland gasket. Just take a butane torch and burn the hairs...done for 5 - 7years with heavy cooking.
  • hayman
    I'm aware its not that HUGE of a deal. I spent $1100 on this and now I have to repair it??
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Sorry did not mean it to sound sarcastic. I am not that way at all. I have 7 eggs and have plenty invested myself :) but compared to fixing other grills that wear out and can not be fixed the gasket is a no issue to me now. for awhile about every egg that went out the gasket failed. was at an egg fest a few years back and the night before they were lighting every egg and testing the gasket... about 80% of them had new gaskets by morning.... :pinch: for awhile every post on here was about the gaskets failing and they have hardly been an issue in so long it is good :) and it is more the glue than the gasket. at least on mine and the ones I have seen. Julie
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    For my high temp cooks, I don't use a gasket in the egg. I have other eggs with gaskets for low and slows.
    I agree with you, after spending that kind of money, you expect a gasket that will hold up...
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • I feel your pain and understand your frustration.

As long as this has been a problem you would think that BGE would have come up with a solution.

But you are where you are and you have some options:

1) Use your BGE with no gasket - not my preference and many will tell you they simply roll with no gasket. I like the cushiony feel when I close the dome and I have dropped the dome a couple times when experiencing a flashback.

2) Replace with the OEM felt gasket - not recommended, it will fry just like the original.

3) Replace with a nomex - If you go this route, I would call BGE and they will send you one and save you the 50 mile drive. It's around $20 but they may comp the gasket. If you decide on nomex view the video at Fred's music and bbq http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/

4) Replace with Rutland - Check out the instruction on Naked Whiz's site http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm You will need more than one kit for an XL

5) Replace with silicone - Here is a link http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1020644&catid=1

6) Cotronics - I understand a few folks have tried coltronics with success but I'm not familiar with it.

Personal experience:

Have an XL, small, and mini

Depending on the egg, I have gone through a couple felts, two nomex, two rutlands, and now have silicone on all eggs. The nomex worked fine but seemed to harden over time and started coming off. The Rutland also started coming off after about 6 months. I think either of these options are serviceable and the fact that they started coming off was probably a me issue with regard to intallation. I have only had the silicone on a short time but I am real happy with it.

Once again - I think it sucks that BGE hasn't addressed the gasket issue but if I had it to do all over again, I would have bought a BGE many years before I did.

Good luck with it.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    You may find this helpful:

Gasket Information

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    be careful there with that Rutland gasket, that could cause health issues according to stike & fidel. It's my understanding that little steven's been using them for 15 years & look what happened to him
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    none of my other grills ever had a gasket, was always happy with my no gasket weber kettle, why did bge put one on, it serves no real purpose to those not prone to drop the dome :laugh: would be nice if they tossed the gasket idea and put some type of dampening piston on the hinge, my new toilet seat even has one, its nice and quiet :whistle: :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    My gasket didn't last three months and i don't miss it UNLESS i'm doing a "low and slow" because the damaged gasket allows air to enter the egg which allows the tempature to increase. Knowing there is a better gasket available it should be standard equipment on every egg sold. The manufacturer owes this to their customers ands everytime i watch smoke leak around my egg, at the failed gasket area, i question the manufacturer's quality control. Green Egg customers pay "big bucks" for this product and if it was an option, i'm sure they would pay extra to be able to cook "EVERYTHING" on their grill, without worrying about "a twelve dollar" gasket!!
  • fishlessman
    the air isnt going in at the seal, it goes out, it only goes in at the lower vent if the lump is lit and temps can be regulated at the lower vent just fine
    fukahwee maine

• MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    You have a great website. Incredibly informative. Thanks.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    your weber wasn't air tight.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    nope, not air tight, leaked just like my egg :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    It is ridiculous that the seal is so fragile. You shouldnt have to replace the seal when you have only been using the grill as directed by the manufacturer. And believe me, you are not the first person this has happened to by a VERY long shot.
    New Orleans LA
  • hayman
    Just got off the phone with the company I bought the egg from, they are sending me a Nomex replacement seal.

Thanks for the help all.
  • stike
    yeah yeah.

the egg is airtight IF YOU WANT IT TO BE :laugh:

dude. you use weekend warrior lump. i used a full bacg of cowboy in your egg after it wouldn't shut down. hahaha

of course, i appreciated it being there, too :)
  • Thanks for that Frank, I missed the silicone post the first time through, does that ever look like the cat's meow...

Doug
  • fishlessman
    when i put the dome back on at the beach , maybe i didnt get the dome on perfect, i never had that problem even with cowboy. it burns a little more without it sealed shut but not that much more. never seen temp control issues like others seem to have (or maybe imagine :laugh:)
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    i hearya.

the original ownership manual mentions the gasket is for cushion. i think what happened is that over the years people realized the thing can dial in long-term because it is (or can be) airtight. and so the cooking methods capitalized on that.

my rutland allows me to shut down and open the egg the next day with (as far as i can tell) no wasted lump lost to the dying. that's kinda cool. and i like that my temps seem rock-stable. i think you are a good bit more experienced than most. cooking ribs direct up high on minimal lump, 1100 degree pizzas, etc. so i think you have absorbed your gasket-less egg into your own 'style' of cooking on the thing.

(FWIW: there's a video from that same 'hitler's downfall' movie where he piounds his fist on the table screaming "Fegelein, Fegelein, Fegelein!!". i have wracked my brain trying to make it into "Fishlessman, Fishlessman, Fishlessman!", but it isn't working. :laugh: )
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    just fix it using the silicone RTV method...... rrr