Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

getting ready for corned beef?

Options
Boilermaker Ben
Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'll be doing corned beef for the second time, later this month. 'tis the season. Considering doing a dry cure this time. Might go all-out and do a dry cure and wet cure simultaneously, to compare the results. (will allow me to make a bigger portion of pastrami, too.)

Very comprehensive post on serious eats, last week.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/how-to-make-corned-beef-st-patricks-day-simmering-brisket-meat-the-food-lab.html

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    the butcher shops up here north of boston mostly do the dry cure in deep tubs and flip the briskets every few days. they dont use much of the pink salts, some use none, i grew up with grey corned beef, never even seen the red stuff til i was in college, try one grey as well, i prefer it more over the red saltier tasting stuff
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Ordered the corned beef picking spices from Penzey's this weekend!
  • kirstenl
    kirstenl Posts: 29
    Options
    Where do you recommend north of Boston? I work in Lawrence and travel all over northeast Massachusetts and am looking for a good butcher in general.

Thanks,
    Kirsten
  • fishlessman
    Options
    north andover has the meathouse and the butcher boy, haverhill has haverhill beef, methuen has thwaites market. thwaites is small and the meats are more bluecollar but its a great little shop with homemade sausages and small hot meatpies to go, ill sometimes put a weeks order in and they will have it all cut and prepped the way i want it at the end of the week. north andover is high end, the meathouse has 45 day dry age ribeyes strips and porters, they also have tritips in back and can get great beef ribs in a day or two if you ask. haverhill beef has the better corned beef, its the grey variety, and thwaites has a slightly grey/red version, both great. theres another one i havent really done much with in salem nh, mckinnon's meat market, ive seen packer briskets in there and they look to be the cheapest cost wise but its all cryovac slabs, ill pick up a packer to try this spring. the one near stike in wakefield makes one of the best chourico sausages around, dont remember the name though. theres alot of places a short distance around in this area
    fukahwee maine

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Interesting thought, but that means a lot more beef. Maybe I'll try wet vs. dry this time, and pink vs gray later in the year.

I like how the article also shows the effect of cooking temp, although I don't have a sous vide. I wish the blogger had compared 175F vacuum seeled and sous vide vs 175F stovetop, unbagged. Not sure about how he's getting flavor into his veggies, since he's cooking the meat sous vide.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    im not even sure why you would want to use that sous vide process on corned beef. if they did the grey the same as the red with all the soaking, you would lose the flavor in the grey, we just cook that stuff unless making a pastrami with it, even then it doesnt need to be soaked as long
    fukahwee maine

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Wondering if we're the only Boilermakers here.. Eat the c/b, cab & all, but beat the Irish!!